Leading the League: SSHS varsity remains 1unbeaten in 7-on-7 league

By JOSEPH ELERSON, News-Telegram Sports Writer

June 20, 2008 - The undefeated streak of the Sulphur Springs Wildcats ended on Thursday as the three teams went a combined 5-1 during Week 3 action of their 7-on-7 league.

With Royse City pulling out of the league two weeks ago, the 7-on-7 schedule for Week 3 went through some changes as only three games were played during the 4 p.m. time slot.

With the Paris vs. Winnsboro game canceled, those two teams battled against Sulphur Springs as the SSHS varsity defeated Paris 38-22, while the SSHS JV defeated Winnsboro 27-20.

Meanwhile, in the Wildcats' final games of the night, the SSHS JV defeated Commerce 41-39, while the Wildcat varsity defeated Mineola 27-14.

The SSHS freshmen, meanwhile, lost to the Como-Pickton JV 27-20 and defeated the Rains JV 37-6.

The Wildcats varsity will return to action tomorrow in Tyler for a state qualifier tournament hosted by Robert E. Lee.

The four-week SSHS summer league wraps up next Thursday afternoon at the James Cameron Memorial Practice Fields.


SSHS 38, Paris 22

The rematch between the two teams was once again heated after SSHS won the first meeting between the two schools, 25-20, last week.

SSHS senior quarterback Tyrik Rollison went 16-of-33 with six touchdowns as Rashad Hall and Jace Jackson caught two touchdowns each.

The Wildcats jumped out to a quick 19-0 lead before Paris scored on a deep route for a 19-6 deficit.

Following Hall's second touchdown reception of the game, Paris cut the Wildcats' lead to 11 at 25-14.

Rollison then found Bryant "Day Day" Jackson for another TD to give SSHS a 31-14 advantage.

Paris countered with another touchdown to cut the Wildcats' lead to 31-22 with less than 10 minutes remaining in the second half.

The Wildcats scored their final touchdown of the game as junior Shane McQueen dove for the ball and came up with the reception in the back of the end zone for a 37-22 lead. Senior Ben Barrows made the conversion reception from Rollison for the 38-22 finale.

Jayden Wallace came up with an interception to end a Paris scoring threat on the last play of the game.

SSHS 27, Mineola 14

The Wildcats improved to 6-0 in league play as four different receivers came up with touchdown receptions in the game.

Hall, Jace Jackson, Day Day Jackson and Anthony Mills came up with receptions from Rollison and back-up quarterback Sawyer Sinclair.

The Wildcats took a 13-7 lead at the intermission as Hall had a touchdown reception from Rollison down the right sideline for the early 6-0 lead.

Jackson gave the Wildcats a 12-0 lead with his third touchdown of the day. Ben Barrows was on the receiving end of the conversion for the 13-0 lead.

After a pass interference call put the ball on the 2-yard line, Mineola cut into the deficit at 13-7 with a touchdown and then converted the extra point attempt.

On the Wildcats first possession following the intermission, the duo of Rollison and Day Day Jackson gave the Wildcats a 13-point lead at 20-7 with a 30-yard touchdown connection and conversion.

After Mineola's final touchdown of the game, Sinclair went 4-for-4 passing on his opening drive with a touchdown strike to Mills and then found Hall in the back of the end zone for the 27-14 finale.

SSHS JV 41, Commerce 39

In the junior varsity's final game, the two teams battled back-and-forth as Sulphur Springs was able to hold on for the win.

SSHS quarterback Tripp Reeves threw five touchdowns, as four of those went to Irvin Anderson. The duo opened up the scoring on a long pass play down the middle of the field for the 6-0 lead.

Commerce took its first lead of the game with a touchdown strike of its own down the middle of the field and a 7-6 lead over the Wildcats.

Reeves came back with a quick scoring drive to give the Wildcats the lead on a touchdown strike to Joe Scott, as Alvin Frazier pulled in the conversion for the 14-7 advantage.

Commerce countered with 14 unanswered points as the Tigers held a 21-14 lead heading into the intermission.

The Tigers scored on their opening possession of the second half and looked to be in control of the game until Reeves and the Wildcats scored on their next three possessions.

Reeves found Frazier for their first touchdown, Kaylon Alexander for their second touchdown and Anderson for their third touchdown and a 35-27 lead.

After a Commerce TD cut the lead to 35-33, Reeves and Anderson connected on their final touchdown of the game. Commerce then intercepted the conversion attempt and ran it back, but due to a rule change the play is blown dead as the SSHS JV led 41-33.

Commerce then scored its final TD and missed the two-point conversion for the 41-39 finale.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008