One Play Too Many
Detroit scores with no time left to come away with 18-16 win over Cumby

Joseph Elerson | News-Telegram Sports Writer

Sept. 16, 2006 - CUMBY - With only one play remaining in the game, the Cumby Trojans saw their home opener end in heartbreak against the Detroit Eagles.

With Detroit on the Cumby 5-yard line and 10 seconds remaining, Eagles' quarterback Ryan Cashion rolled to his right side, threw up a pass to Jeff Nichols - who tipped the ball into the air and caught the game-winning touchdown as time expired, giving the Eagles an 18-16 victory at Trojan Field.

Cumby is now 1-2 on the season and will have homecoming next Friday night against Simms Bowie. Kickoff for the contest is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

The Trojans looked like they had everything going for them in the final quarter of the game as their defense stopped Detroit on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line to hold on to their 18-12 lead with 4:16 remaining in the game.

The Cumby offense could not get anything going on its final possession and was held inside its own 5-yard line as Brixx Hawthorne had to punt the ball away from deep in his own end zone.

Detroit returned the ball back to the 37-yard line and then Cashion found Nichols on a 23-yard completion as Kris Stanford was unable to knock the pass down. It was Nichols' first catch, and it put the Eagles within scoring position.

After an incomplete lob pass to Nichols went out of the end zone, Cumby coach Kent Hawthorne called timeout to set up his defensive formation, and then Detroit put the nail in the coffin with the touchdown drive.

The opening minute of the game saw Cumby jump out to an 8-6 lead before the offense even hit the field, as Detroit's Deon Patt returned the opening kickoff 76 yards for a 6-0 lead with 11:45 remaining in the first quarter.

The Trojans then countered with a 75-yard kickoff return by Adam Fite just 12 seconds later as Nathan Dunnihoo converted the two-point conversion for the 8-6 lead.

Dunnihoo then gave Cumby a 16-6 lead with 2:01 remaining in the second quarter on a 6-yard run around the right side. Hawthorne scampered untouched around the left side for a successful two-point conversion.

With under two minutes remaining in the third quarter, Detroit running back Shantize Savage scampered 89 yards straight up the middle of the Cumby defense to cut the deficit to four points, 16-12. Detroit was stopped on the two-point conversion as Cashion attempted the run.

Dunnihoo finished the game with 15 carries for 94 yards and one touchdown, Hawthorne finished with 11 carries for 50 yards, and Miles Parker carried six times for 42 yards. Hawthorne also went 5-of-12 for 47 yards in the passing department.

Savage led Detroit in the rushing department with four carries for 103 yards and one touchdown. Cashion finished the game with 23 carries for 87 yards and also went 3-of-5 with 39 yards passing and one touchdown and one interception to Parker on his first pass of the game.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008