7-on-7 league ends with tough finishes for Wildcats
Joseph Elerson | News-Telegram Sports Writer

June 30, 2006 - Both Sulphur Springs teams had a tough finish to the 7-on-7 league at James Cameron Memorial Fields as they went through their two games with only one combined win.

The Sulphur Springs No. 1 team lost to Lone Oak 42-33, and Winnsboro No. 1 squad, 28-14. The SS2 team, meanwhile, knocked off Alba-Golden 34-7, and lost to Winnsboro's No. 2 team 47-40.

SS1 finished the league in a three-way tie for first place at 5-3 with Winnsboro and Lone Oak, while Paris finished the league with a 2-6 record.

In the junior varsity standings, Winnsboro No. 2 finished in first place at 6-2, while SS2 went 5-3, Alba-Golden went 3-5 and Greenville rounded out the JV bracket at 0-8.

In other games, Lone Oak beat Paris 26-19, Winnsboro beat Paris 48-14, Winnsboro No. 2 defeated Alba-Golden 25-21. Greenville forfeited two games after not showing up.


Lone Oak 42, SS1 33

Lone Oak jumped out to a 28-19 lead after the first half of play as Tyrick Rollison threw two TD passes and Brittain Diamond threw another, but the Wildcats could not get any closer in the game.

Rollison ended up throwing three TD passes, a 5-yarder to Daqualin "Boo" Evans, a 35-yarder to Quenton Long and a 35-yarder to Jeff Pitts.

Diamond connected with Tyler Rhoades on their first touchdown of the game and also had a touchdown to Long in the second half. Rhoades and Jeff Beck also snagged extra point passes in the game.

Tanner Higgins came up with a second-half interception.

Winnsboro No. 1 28, SS1 14

Winnsboro got vengeance for their loss to Sulphur Springs last week and in the process sealed up a three-way tie for first in the league.

The Red Raiders jumped out to a 15-0 lead after the first half of play before Sulphur Springs could get on the board.

In the second half, Diamond connected with Pitts for his second touchdown of the day on a 5-yard strike but the Wildcats missed the extra point conversion with Winnsboro up, 15-6.

Winnsboro then came back with 13 unanswered points before Jonathan Young received a 5-yard touchdown pass from Rollison across the middle. Rhoades caught the conversion pass in the corner of the end zone for the two-point conversion.


Winnsboro No. 2 47, SS2 40

For the second straight week, Winnsboro and SS2 battled to the final play of the game. This time, it was Winnsboro would walked out with the first place finish in the league.

The game ended with time running out for the Wildcats - who had one last chance to pick up the win but quarterback Johnny McSheffery could not get a play off before the buzzer sounded.

Winnsboro held a 27-12 lead at the half before SS2 stormed back with to take the lead at 34-33 on an interception return for a touchdown by Rashad Hall in the second half. Teammate John Latham had an interception return in the first half.

The Red Raiders took a 13-point lead late in the contest before McSheffery connected with Ben Barrows on a 5 yard touchdown for the 47-40 deficit.

Rollison had two touchdowns while Jace Jackson had one touchdown and one extra point catch.

SS2 34, Alba-Golden 7

The Wildcats bounced back in a big way in their final game of league play as Kaylon Page had two interceptions to lead the Wildcats to a 1-1 mark on Thursday.

Rollison had two TD receptions of 20 and 25 yards, while Jackson had two catches of 11 and 1 yards. He also had a conversion reception in the game.

Jayden Wallace put the Wildcats up 28-7 with a 30 yard reception from McSheffery and earlier had a conversion reception.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008