Both Wildcats 7-on-7 teams go unbeaten in league play
Bobby "Butch" Burney | News-Telegram Sports Editor

June 23, 2006 - Both Sulphur Springs teams playing in the 7-on-7 league at James Cameron Memorial Fields went through their two games unbeaten on Thursday - the first time that has happened.

The Sulphur Springs No. 1 team beat Paris 34-25, and Winnsboro's No. 1 squad, 41-20. The SS2 team, meanwhile, knocked off Winnsboro No. 2, 26-25 in OT, and Alba-Golden, 25-12.

In other games, Paris beat Lone Oak 38-22, and then Lone Oak turned around and beat Winnsboro No. 1. On Field 2, Winnsboro No. 2 beat Alba-Golden, 20-13, and Greenville forfeited two games after not showing up.


SS1 34, Paris 25

Sulphur Springs took a 20-12 halftime lead behind two TD passes from Brittain Diamond and another from Tyrick Rollison, then put the game away with a last-minute TD in the second half.

Diamond ended up throwing three TD passes, a 20-yarder to Tyler Rhoades and two to Daqualin "Boo" Evans of 5 and 20 yards.

Rollison connected with B.J. Rodgers on two TD passes, one of 20 yards and the final one of 10 yards with less than a minute to go in the contest. Jeff Beck caught three extra point passes and Evans snagged one.

SS1 41, Winnsboro No. 1 20

Winnsboro handed the Wildcats (5-1) their only loss last week, but Sulphur Springs got vengeance on Thursday.

The Wildcats rolled to a 20-0 halftime lead as Diamond completed a 10-yard TD pass to Jeff Pitts and connected on a 5-yard fade route to Evans in the corner of the end zone.

Rollison then found Rodgers on a 20-yard connection down the right sideline and then found Evans on another fade route for the two-point conversion.

In the second half, Diamond and Pitts hooked up again on a 5-yard TD and then Diamond connected with Rhoades on a 20-yard score across the middle. Beck caught his third conversion pass of the game.

Safety Dalton Abner had a first-half interception to kill a Winnsboro drive.

The Wildcats moved into sole possession of first place in the league. The final week of games is next Thursday, beginning at 4:30 p.m.


SS2 26, Winnsboro No. 2 25

Last week, Winnsboro beat SS2 on the final play of the game. This time, it was Sulphur Springs that ended the game on a high note.

The game went into overtime after it was tied 19-19 at the end of regulation. In the extra period, Jace Jackson caught his fourth TD of the game from quarterback Johnny McSheffery, and Tyler Wilson hauled in the conversion pass for a 26-19 lead.

Winnsboro then scored on a fourth-down pass, but the conversion attempt was broken up in the end zone by SS cornerback Rashad Hall.

Jackson caught TD passes of 6, 10 and 6 yards from McSheffery, and Wilson added another extra point catch.

The game was sent into OT when Winnsboro tied the game on the final play of regulation, and SS defender Jayden Wallace knocked down the potential winning conversion pass.

Taylor Phillips came up with a first-half interception.

SS2 25, Alba-Golden 12

Ben Barrows caught two TD passes and returned an interception 15 yards for a third touchdown to lead the Wildcats to a 2-0 mark on Thursday.

Barrows caught a 15-yard TD from McSheffery (Wilson added the conversion reception), then returned the interception on the next possession. He later caught a 10-yard TD pass to put the Wildcats up 19-6 at halftime.

In the second half, Jackson caught a 45-yard TD pass from McSheffery.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008