Rain Delay: Inclement weather interrupts regional track meet, postpones playoff game
Bobby "Butch" Burney | News-Telegram Sports Editor

May 1, 2004 -- DENTON -- A severe spring thunderstorm interrupted the Class 4A, Region II track and field meet Friday evening and postponed the Sulphur Springs Lady Cats' bi-district softball game until Saturday.

The regional meet completed its partial schedule of field events Friday morning and early afternoon at Fouts Field on the University of North Texas campus, and had ran just two preliminary races that evening before lightning and then rain forced the postponement of the meet until Saturday.

The same thing happened 35 miles down the road in McKinney, where the Lady Cats were scheduled to play Mesquite Poteet in the first round of the playoffs at 8 p.m. But, by the time the teams were scheduled to take the field, light rain had already started falling and after waiting about 30 minutes, the game was postponed until 7 p.m. Saturday at the McKinney High School Field.

Several SSHS athletes had already competed Friday in their field events before the postponement.

Senior Jordan Jones took fifth in the shot put with a throw of 52 feet, 2 1/2 inches. Jones had his best effort on his first throw in the competition which was won by district rival Noble Polk of Sherman at 55-3.

Sophomore Jayden Spencer and senior Zack Wilhite took eighth and ninth, respectively, in the pole vault. Spencer cleared 12 feet, 6 inches, while Wilhite topped 11-6. Nick Frawley of Midlothian won the event with a vault of 15-0.

In the tripe jump, senior Jonathan Lindley did not advance to the finals after scratching on his three attempts. On his first attempt, he flew out to about 47 feet, SSHS coach Robert Wallace estimated -- which would have been a new school record and enough to advance to state -- but scratched by a fraction of an inch.

"I think everyone did about as well as they could," Wallace said. "They didn't do their personal bests, but they got real close. Jon-Jon's the one that hurts because he barely scratched, I mean barely."

There was some controversy in the two running prelims that were held before the lightning and rain. In the 4x100 relay, Greenville and Lancaster, who recorded the two fastest preliminary times, were both disqualified but later reinstated, and they will run in the finals on Saturday. Waxahachie was disqualified for a false start, while Palestine and Dallas Spruce both dropped the baton on the final leg.

The Sulphur Springs foursome of Jonathan Hall, Kendall Wright, Keenan Clayton and Keelan Green had the sixth-fastest preliminary time of 42.37.

The running finals were originally scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. Saturday, but have been pushed back to 4 p.m. (weather permitting). The resumption of the running preliminaries and field events was to begin at 9 a.m. with the 3,200-meter run.

Coach Wallace said Saturday morning it had stopped raining in Denton, but it was still cold and overcast as workers swept standing water off the track.

Besides the sprint relay, Sulphur Springs still has senior Kendall Wright in the 110-meter high hurdles and the 300-meter intermediate hurdles, junior Keelan Green in the 100-meter dash, sophomore Bridgette Nash in the shot put and senior Sara Barrett in the high jump.

The top two finishers in each event advance to the state track and field meet in Austin on May 14-15.

Below are the final results of the events which were completed Friday:

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008