Second person charged in attack on Cooper man, 24

Victim undergoes facial surgery, said to be 'out of the woods'

By FAITH HUFFMAN, News-Telegram News Editor

June 27, 2008 - A second suspect faces feloy charges in a Monday morning assault that sent a Cooper man, 24, to a Tyler hospital for reconstructive facial surgery.

Jason Lee Wilson, 20, of Cooper was arrested Thursday morning by Hopkins County Chief Sheriff's Investigator Toney Hurley and Texas Ranger John Vance for the aggravated assault of Kenneth Tracy-Lee Bell.

Wilson was questioned by Hurley at the sherrif's office, then arrested after confessing to the assault, according to reports.

Wilson had been arraigned Friday morning and was in the process of securing the $50,000 bond on the second-degree felony charge, according to sheriff's reports.

Wilson is the second man arrested in the attack on Bell, who was found covered in blood in Como about 3:30 a.m. Monday. James A. Buchanan of Cooper was arrested Monday afternoon on a second-degree felony charge and taken to the Hopkins County jail, where he remained Friday morning in lieu of the $50,000 bond set by Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Ronny Glossup.

Sheriff's officers were contacte Monday morning after a woman driving to work reported a bloody man was wandering down County Road 2329. Deputies found found Kenneth Tracy-Lee Bell, 24, of Cooper covered in blood from injuries to the side of his face and head. Bell's arms were also bleeding, and he had a gash across his stomach. He was conscious but didn't know who he was, much less where he was or how he got there, according to Hurley.

Bell was taken to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital but later flown to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler, where he was treated for suspected internal stomach bleeding and underwent reconstructive surgery .

"He went through surgery OK," Hurley said of the procedure to reconstruct the right side of his face, which was crushed during the assault. "He's alive and we think out of the woods on that."

Hurley added that Bell remained in the Tyler hospital this moring but that there's a possibility he may get out soon.

Officers are still unclear as to the motives or details of the assault, but hope that as Bell begins to heal from his injuries that he'll be able to shed more light on the attack.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008