Grand jury hands down 56 indicments
By FAITH HUFFMAN, News-Telegram News Editor
August 31, 2008 - During the August grand jury session, at least 56 indictments were issued against 44 people. The charges alleged in the indictments range from theft, fraud, felony drunk driving, forgery and burglary to possession and delivery of controlled substances, aggravated assault, endangering a child, evading arrest and tampering with government documents.
Jason Lee Wilson and James A. Buchanan, both of Cooper, were both indicted for aggravated assault of 24-year-old Kenneth Tracy-Lee Bell of Cooper with a deadly weapon, a vehicle, on June 23. Bell was found covered in blood, wandering down County Road 2329 early Monday, June 23, by a motorist headed to work. He had obvious injuries to the side of his face and head, his arm, was bleeding, he had a gash across his stomach and was conscious but unaware who or where he was, much less how he got there, sheriff's investigators said following the incident. Bell was treated for suspected internal stomach bleeding and underwent reconstructive facial surgery at East Texas Medical Center in Tyler.
Courtni Brooke McGary and Bobby Jo Hutson were both indicted for abandoning or endangering a child. They are alleged in March to have engaged in conduct which placed a male child less than 15 years of age "in imminent danger of death, bodily injury, or physical or mental impairment, by child tested positive for methamphetamine, and the defendant did not voluntarily deliver the child to a designated emergency infant care provider." The pair had been under investigation for a while. At least two of McGary's children were removed from the home by CPS workers after her 2-year-old drug-tested positive for methamphetamine. CPS notified sheriff's investigators of the positive result. The McGary and boyfriend Hutson were both arrested on warrants, sheriff's investigators said following their arrests in March on the charge.
Michael Glen McFadden was indicted for injury to a child, elderly individual or disabled individual. He is accused in February to have caused bodily injury to a female age 65 or older by hitting her in her head with his hand in February.
Christopher Lynn Elliott and Krystal Cathleen Lawhorne were both indicted for criminal attempt. They are alleged to have attempted the aggravated kidnapping of a male by pointing a gun at him and telling him to get in a car, "which amounted to more than mere preparation that tended but failed to effect the commission of the offense intended."
Indicted for forgery was Veronica Fountain Craddock. She is alleged in March 2007 to have written a check not authorized by the business listed on the account.
Weldon Wayne Foster was indicted for criminal nonsupport. He is alleged in July 2007 to have failed to have complied with a June 2007 court order requiring him to pay child support for three children.
LaShonda Denise Nance was indicted for fraudulent use or possession of identifying information. She is alleged in March 2007 to have used another woman's name and date of birth to open utility services.
Indicted for driving while intoxicated, third or more offense, were:
- Jose Perea Sanchez, in July 2007
- Robert Lynn Romans in February 2008 and October 2007
- Calvin Lewis Riley, in July 2007
- David Oneal Oxford, September 2007
- Eric Scott Mason, September 2007
- Eric Vincent Klemptner, July 2007
- Kenneth Kevin Kirtley, May 2007
- Rodney East, June 2007
- Casey Waylon Crosby, March 2007
The grand jury approved an enhanced theft indictment alleging Michael Early Pouncy in October 2007 took $50 worth of baby back ribs from Brookshire's without effective consent of the owner, namely, by deception and with intent to deprive the owner of the property. The charge was enhanced due to prior theft convictions and a robbery conviction, the indictment states.
Also indicted for theft was Michael Curtis Ramsey. He was alleged in May 2006 to have stolen a tractor, trailer and a skid steer loader. He was also indicted for tampering with a governmental record. Ramsey is also accused of made a false product identification number with intent that it be taken as a genuine governmental document in May 2006.
William James Ragsdale was indicted for burglary of a building. He allegedly entered a woman's building and took radiators without her permission in June 2007.
Indicted for failure to stop and render aid was Jason Bruce Edwards. He is alleged in December 2007 to have driven a vehicle that became involved in an accident which resulted in a female being injured. He then allegedly left the scene of the accident "without giving his name, address, registration number of the vehicle the defendant was driving, or the name of the defendant's motor vehicle liability insurer to any person, and without rendering reasonable assistance to the [victim], when it was apparent that [the victim] was in need of medical treatment."
Justin Matthew Parker was indicted for retaliation. He is alleged in February 2008 to have threatened to harm a witness in a case.
Denisa Michelle McDowell, Randy Lee Collard, Chad Buckley Duke and James Robert McDonald were each indicted for evading arrest. McDowell is accused of fleeing on a motorcycle from Cumby Police Officer Jimmy White who was attempting to lawfully arrest or detain her in July 2007. McDonald is accused of using a vehicle to flee from Sulphur Springs Police Officer Mark Estes, who was attempting to arrest or detain him. Collard is alleged to have used a motor vehicle to evade Hopkins County Sheriff's Deputy Jeff Santos who was attempting to arrest or detain him in September 2007. Duke is accused in September 2007 to have fled from State Trooper Scott Lee who was trying to detain or arrest him.
Enrique Lopez was indicted for engaging in organized criminal activity. He is alleged to collaborated with another man and a woman in the planning and execution of a controlled substance delivery in September 2006.
George Allen Schaeffer was indicted for possession of a controlled substance and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon in July 2007. At least 4 grams but less than 200 grams of cocaine and a firearm were found in his car. He is restricted from having a firearm before the fifth anniversary of his release from confinement for a felony conviction, the indictment allegedly.
Stephani Deann Lewis was indicted on two controlled substance and one unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon charges. She is alleged in July 2007 to have possessed at least 4 grams but less than 200 grams of cocaine and had a firearm before the fifth anniversary of release from community supervision on a felony conviction. She also in July 2008 is accused of having less than 1 gram of methamphetamine.
Also indicted for charges of delivery of controlled substances were:
- Jarrod Olin Kirkpatrick, less than 28 grams of dihydrocodeinone and less than 28 grams of Alprozolam, both in July 2007
- Cecil Green, at least 1 gram but less than 4 grams of cocaine, July 2007
- Monti Dwain Hawthorne, less than 1 gram cocaine, September 2007
- Nina Jean Cassady, at least 1 gram but less than 4 grams methadone, August 2007
- Indicted on charges of possession of a controlled substance were:
- Billy Charles Franklin, less than 1 gram of cocaine, February 2008
- Larry Dean Ferrell, less than one gram of cocaine, March 2008
- James Patrick Dixon, at least 4 grams but less than 200 grams of methamphetamine, May 2007
- Mark Anthony Coppedge, more than 1 gram but less than 4 grams methadone, September 2007
- Birdie Alice Renfro, less than 1 gram cocaine, March 2008
- Indicted on allegations of possession of marijuana were:
- Rodolfo Nickalas Pina and Gail Evans Pina, 5-50 pounds, in July 2007
- Noel Escobedo Jr., more than 5 pounds but less than 50 pounds, July 2007
- Cantrell Devon Hodges, more than 5 pounds up to 50 pounds, September 2007
- Paul Spencer Montgomery, more than 5 pounds up to 50 pounds September 2007
- Dontel Michael Spann, more than 5 pounds up to 50 pounds, September 2007
- Michael Lee Chester, more than 4 ounces but no more than 5 pounds, August 2007
- Kenneth Patrick Brien, more than 4 ounces but no more than 5 pounds, June 2007
- Brent Matthew Burns, at least 50 pounds but less than 2,000 pounds, June 2007
- Kristen Michelle Ray, more than 4 ounces but no more than 5 pounds, June 2007