SSISD parent orientation sessions scheduled
By FAITH HUFFMAN, News-Telegram News Editor
August 29, 2008 - With the new school year well under way, students are already getting the hang of their new class schedules, rules and requirements. For parents, however, that adjustment may not be as swift, as many are still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of their child's school life, particularly how they can best help each kid be as successful as possible.
In order to better equip parents to aide their children, Sulphur Springs Independent School District has slated several parent orientation and meet the teacher nights.
During these 30-minute sessions, parents will have the opportunity to visit their child's school, talk to the teachers and learn volumes of information on a wide variety of topics. Generally, teachers have a number of handouts, but it never hurts to take a pen and paper to jot down a few notes on the particulars.
Some of the topics to be covered include daily schedules, attendance and absence policies, homework policies, classroom organization, curriculum content and materials to be covered this year, general dress guidelines, discipline procedures, information about parent/teacher conferences, report card and grading practices, notices of concern, the school calendar, testing programs for the child's grade level, student promotion requirements and special reading programs.
Parents can also learn about special teachers and programs such as the ACE program, music, physical education, Title I aide assistance, bacterial meningitis notification, Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, counselors and library, school nurse services and others.
SSISD Administrators encourage all parents who are able to do so to attend the sessions, to not only get a better understanding of what will be expected of them and their children, but also what they can do to help the student have a better year.
- Tuesday, Sept. 2: Parents of first graders will have orientation at 6:30 p.m., while orientiation for the parents of second graders will begin at 7 p.m. Austin, Bowie, Lamar and Travis elementary schools.
- Tuesday, Sept. 4: Parents of third graders will have orientation at 6:30 p.m. and fourth graders' parents at 7 p.m.
- Monday, Sept. 8: "Meet the Teacher" for parents of Sulphur Springs Middle School and Houston Learning Center students will be conducted from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 9: Sulphur Springs High School's "Meet the Teacher" night will be from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9.
- Tuesday, Sept. 16: Douglas Intermediate School's parent orientation will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. This session for fifth graders' parents was originally set for Thursday, Sept. 11, but was reset due to the football game Thursday night.
For more information about parent orientation or meet the teacher activities, contact SSISD federal programs/testing coordinator Connie Mabe at 903-885-2153, ext. 309, or the call your child's campus.