Teen tries to put out fire, sustains minor burns

Garage, car are damaged 

By FAITH HUFFMAN | News-Telegram News Editor

Sept 13, 2007 - A 13-year-old sustained first-degree burns to his hands and face during a fire which destroyed a car and garage on County Road 1165 in the Shirley community.

The teen-ager was treated by first responders and EMS personnel at the scene, then taken to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital. He was treated and released a short itme later and is expected to make a full recovery.

The fire was reported at 5:04 p.m. on CR 1165, located just east of State Highway 19 south in the Shirley community. A motorist driving past saw the fire, reporting it as a grass fire.

Precinct 1 Foreman Rodney Keller drove up and noticed the flames were from a fire in a garage. He went into the garage, where he found a teen-ager trying to extinguish the blaze. He encouraged the boy to leave the garage and helped him get out. Sheriff’s Cpl. Daniel Winn, who was also in the area, arrived about that time and stayed with the boy until first responders arrived.

Brandon Rogers told fire officials that he was batting a ball around, practicing baseball moves in the garage, when he accidentally knocked over gas cans. A burning mosquito candle caught the gas on fire. The 13-year-old Miller Grove student attempted to extinguish the fire, Hopkins County Fire Investigator Steve Caudle said Thursday morning. It is believed that the gas flared up, causing the minor burns.

Hopkins County, Miller Grove and Arbala firefighters were dispatched to the scene, as were EMS personnel. County firefighters initially requested water support from Cumby firefighters, but canceled the request a few minutes later.

The firefighters were able to get the fire under control in short order, containing damage to Dodge Neon and the garage. The building was attached to a mobile home being used by the Rogers family  as a storage facility.

The firefighters then checked for hot spots using a thermal imager and ventilated the house before clearing from the scene a little over an hour later.

At about 7:45 p.m., Hopkins County, Miller Grove and Arbala firefighters were again dispatched to the location, where the fire was reported to have rekindled. Point and Emory firefighters had already arrived, as the call was initially reported to Rains County authorities, who sent Point and Emory firefighters. Hopkins County dispatchers were called after Rains County officials determined the fire was actually in Hopkins County.

A portion of the mobile home was damaged. Firefighters remained  at the location until 8:56 p.m.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008