Three flown to trauma centers after trio of wrecks Friday evening

By FAITH HUFFMAN | News-Telegram News Editor

Sept. 2, 2007 - Three motor vehicle crashes kept county emergency services crews busy into the night Friday.

�Each wreck resulted in helicopters taking victims to trauma centers.�

The condition and names of the three victims had not been released Saturday morning.

The first wreck occurred in the early evening on Interstate 30 near the 120 mile marker. A woman apparently was driving on the south service road when she lost control of her vehicle, causing it to go off the road. The vehicle then traveled across the ditch into the westbound lane of I-30, where it wrecked.

Hopkins Count and other firefighters were dispatched to the scene along with sheriff’s deputies, emergency medical services personnel and state troopers about 6 p.m. The medical helicopter service was contacted to be ready to land at the location as the single passenger was thought to be trapped, with possibly severe injuries.

When authorities arrived, the driver was still in the vehicle, conscious but in what appeared to be state of shock, as she was unresponsive to their questions. After they got her out of the vehicle, it was suspected she may have hit her head in the crash, as a bump appeared to be forming and growing. Traffic was routed to the service road, and the westbound lane of I-30 shut down and the U.S. Highway 67 exit closed while the helicopter was at the scene. The helicopter crew from Greenville was reported to have flown her to a trauma center, likely in Dallas.

At 8:32 p.m., Hopkins County and Brinker firefighters, EMS, deputies and troopers were dispatched to a motorcycle crash in the construction zone just east of Sulphur Springs on State Highway 11.

Crews arrived to find the motoryclist lying on the ground with what appeared to be serious head lacerations. He was alert and able to easily communicate with authorities, however. SH 11 east at Wal-Mart was shut down and westbound traffic on the highway was diverted to allow the helicopter room to land.

After about 25 minutes, however, dispatchers reported the helicopter was still about 20 minutes away, so EMS personnel opted have the helicopter directed to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital, where they were transporting the injured man.

At 8:51 p.m., before authorities cleared from the motorcycle crash, emergency personnel were redirected to FM 69 south of County Road 2316, where a vehicle had sustained heavy damage, scattering debris all over the road. Officers shut that section down and directed traffic off FM 69 down county roads.

Officials initially reported the middle-aged man involved in the crash was alert but disoriented, but a short while later the patient was unconscious with a head injury. A helicopter was requested to land at the scene, and emergency esponders worked to clear the debris so that they could reopen at least one lane of traffic.

A landing zone for the helicopter was set up in a field just west of the crash site, but when it was confiremed the helicopter crew would not be in the area for quite a while, EMS teams opted to transport the man to HCMH to await the helicopter there.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008