Sheriff’s office and Texas Rangers investigate death

By FAITH HUFFMAN | News-Telegram News Editor

May 7, 2007 - Sheriff’s investigators and the Texas Rangers were investigating what, as of Monday morning, was being considered a questionable death resulting from an injury Saturday night.

Timothy Porter, 35, of the Sulphur Springs area died before noon Sunday at Trinity Mother Frances hospital in Tyler where he was taken from a vehicle crash scene for what was thought to be a severe injury sustained just prior to the crash, Hopkins County Sheriff’s Office Chief Investigator Andy Chester said Monday morning.

The death is being called “questionable” and injury thought to be a “freak accident.” But as is routine policy any time there is a death of such nature, officials are investigating it and an autopsy has been ordered. No foul play was suspected, but a preliminary autopsy is expected to help determine if any other causes or factors were at play. As of Monday morning, no foul play was suspected, Chester said. The preliminary results of the autopsy, being conducted in Tyler, were expected later Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

HCSO Deputy Dennis Findley spotted a vehicle in the ditch along side County Road 3504 at 9:18 p.m. Saturday. When checking the vehicle for potentially injured occupants, Findley noted there to be a massive amount of blood in the vehicle.

Porter was found a short while later in a pasture in the vicinity, also covered in massive amounts of blood, according to sheriff’s reports. He was sent to the hospital for treatment.

Troopers responded at the scene and after investigation determined the crash was not the cause of the injury. HCSO Investigator Charles Humphries was contacted to being an investigation. It was revealed that Porter apparently had cut his arm a short distance down the road at either his girlfriend’s house or the home of her relative, by putting his arm through a window. Porter’s right upper forearm near his elbow was noted to have sustained what turned out to be a severe cut.

Chester said it’s unclear if he was headed home to take care of the injury or seeking medical attention when his vehicle went into the ditch. He was found nearby. 

Texas Ranger Phillip Kemp was called in and is working with Humphries on the investigation into Porter’s death.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008