Trio arrested for burglary on Saturday – two times

By FAITH HUFFMAN | News-Telegram News Editor

May 7, 2007 - If awards were handed out for "dumbest criminal acts" the trio arrested twice Saturday for burglary of local businesses would definitely have been candidates, police said.

"If all the people we arrested were that stupid, our jobs would be a whole lot easier," Sulphur Springs Police Lt. Investigator Rusty Stillwagoner said Monday morning.

Quincy Lee Nix, 29; Louis Edward “L-Dog” Coleman, 21; and Dwight Gerard Smith, 23, all of Dallas were arrested the first time around 2:40 a.m. Saturday, when Hunt County deputies found them parked alongside Interstate 30 east at the 105 mile marker with the safe that had been stolen about 12:30 a.m. from Fred's in Sulphur Springs.

Stillwagoner said SSPD patrol officers responding to an alarm at Fred’s at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday arrived to find the glass smashed out and a safe missing. While officials were at the store waiting for management to arrive, Hunt County informed them a deputy had three men they believed to be the suspects from the Fred's break-in.

The trio drew attention, and resulted in someone calling to complain of loud banging noises near the 105 mile marker of I-30. The officers found all three men at the location. They noted the noise apparently was caused by the trio using a sledge hammer to break open the safe and gain access to the contents. They were still in possession of the safe, contents and sledge hammer when the officer arrived.

Sulphur Springs Police took them in custody and after determining the safe was indeed that stolen from Fred's, Nix, Smith and Coleman were all arrested for felony burglary of a building.

They bonded out of jail later Saturday morning after being arraigned and went to Fuller's Towing & Recovery on Interstate 30 west, where the Mazda they had been driving was held in impound. The trio collected the car, then waited for the wrecker driver to leave.

Witnesses contacted police at about 5:25 p.m. Saturday, noting that the men in a white Mazda had just busted out the glass at Fuller's. They  went inside, came out with what was thought to be cash from inside the business, then left in the Mazda. They were followed east to West industrial Drive at the Hillcrest Drive access road where police arrested them less than 5 minutes later, police noted.

Upon inventorying the car, the officers found not only the large sum of cash taken from Fuller's but also several other burglary tools as well. The three occupants — Nix, Coleman, and Smith were arrested for the second time Saturday for burglary of a building. They were also charged with surety off bond on the first burglary charge after the bondsman learned of their actions.

Bond was set at $100,000 each on the second burglary charge and at $20,000 for going off their bond. All three had posted bond and were released Sunday, according to jail reports.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008