HCSA taking donations for family whose home was hit by fire Friday

Blaze limited to kitchen, but smoke ruins clothes

By FAITH HUFFMAN | News-Telegram News Editor

June 11, 2007 - County firefighters battled two structure fires over the weekend, one on Buddy Lane in Cumby, the other on County Road 2348. Both were reported to have started in the residences' kitchens.

The 1st fire was reported at 9 p.m. Friday on Buddy Lane, which is located near Depot Street in Cumby. The fire was quickly extinguished, with damage kept to the kitchen area. Cumby firefighters reported no indications that the fire was anything other than accidental in nature. 

David and Michelle MacNiell told Hopkins County Salvation Army Chair Jo Marie Neal that they were not home when the fire occurred.

"It was in the kitchen, but everything else was smoked up. She tried to wash it out of their clothes, but it didn't come out. They're still smoky," Neal said.

HCSA put the family up in a motel overnight, and are currently accepting monetary or clothing donations to replenish all of David and Michelle MacNiell's clothing, as well as that of 3-year-old Elena. Sizes needed include men's size 34x34 pants, extra large shirts and 13 1/2 shoes; women's size 18-20 pants, extra large tops and size 10 shoes; and children's size 3T clothes and 8 1/2 shoes. Donations may be made by calling the HCSA headquarters (located inside The Bait Shop at 1702 South Broadway St.) at 903-885-9858 or Jo Marie Neal's cell phone at 903-335-1032.

Hopkins County and Pickton-Pine Forest firefighters responded from 8:24 a.m. to 10:35 a.m. Sunday to the second structure fire on County Road 2348, at the home of Tony Lara and his family, according to fire reports.

The fire spread from the stove into the cabinet area of the kitchen, but was contained to that area, according to Hopkins County Fire Investigator Steve Caudle.

Neal said she had checked with the family, and thans to to the limited damage, the family will not require further assistance.

County firefighters also responded over the weekend to two hay baler fires and as well as a grass fire caused from an overheated car exhaust system.

No one was reported to have been injured in any of the weekend fires.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008