|Fire, wrecks keep county departments busy over weekend|
|Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor|
Oct. 2, 2006 - Three medical call dispatched Saturday and Sunday kept county firefighters and law enforcement officers very busy over the weekend.
At least one structure fire Sunday, on County Road 1436, resulted in destruction of a carport and garage being destroyed and a resident going to jail on two warrants as well as for resisting arrest and interference with public duties. Another structure fire Sunday, on FM 69 resulted in destruction of a shed and lumber.�
David “Jordan” Andrews, 17, of Sulphur Springs was arrested at 2:05 p.m. at his County Road 1436 residence by deputies Daniel Winn and Heath Guy on a felony surety off bond on a hindering apprehension warrant and tobacco use or possession by a minor warrant, as well as for resisting arrest, search or transport and interference with public duties.
Deputies initially went to his residence at the request of firefighters, to help keep people away from the house where Billy and Renee Baxley, their son Jordan Andrews and another young man, Eric Klemptner live.
Andrews reportedly kept trying to run back inside the CR 1436 residence while Hopkins County, Brinker, Arbala and Como firefighters battled the blaze.
Upon arrival, deputies told Andrews he would have to stay back and out of the house, or he would have to go to jail for interfering with firefighters efforts to put out the fire.
�� � When a computer check turned up the felony warrant and a tobacco possession warrant for Andrews’ arrest, deputies told the 17-year-old he was under arrest. When deputies attempted to place him in custody, Andrews began resisting to the point deputy Daniel Winn used “pepper” spray on Andrews to try to get control of the struggling young man, according to deputies.
When that did not stop Andrews, deputies Winn, Heath Guy and Cpl. Richard Greer wrestled him to the ground, where he was cuffed and arrested for resisting arrest and interference with public duties.
Firefighters battled the blaze at the CR 1436 residence from 2:09 p.m. until 4:36 p.m. Sunday. According to Hopkins County Fire Investigator Steve Caudle, the fire started from an unattended burn barrel, spread through the grass to the carport storage area and to the garage. Both of those areas were the only two areas damaged.
Hopkins County Salvation Army is assisting the CR 1436 residents, accepting monetary and clothing donations. Sizes needed include woman’s size 4 pants and medium shirts; mens size 34x34 pants, 36x35 pants, 29x34 pants, and large, extra large and medium t-shirts.
To donate, call 903-885-9858.
When Como, Arbala and Pickton-Pine Forest firefighters arrived on FM 69 south in Black Oak, the shed reported to be on fire was already burned nearly to the ground, destroying the structure and all of the lumber inside Sunday afternoon. Firefighters worked for more than an hour at that scene, clearing at 3:48 p.m. Sunday.
A grass fire in a wooded area resulted in the forest service being called in for assistance, according to HC Fire Chief Carl Nix.