Woman shot by deputy identified
Texas Ranger still refusing to name officer
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Nov. 30, 2006 - The 35-year-old woman shot by an unidentified sheriff's deputy Tuesday night was identified this morning by Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Ronny Glossup as Terri Hill Minty.

Texas Ranger Phillip Kemp Thursday morning said he will not be releasing the name of the Hopkins County sheriff's deputy who shot Minty until the investigation is further along. Kemp was said to be leading the inquiry into the shooting with assistance from Hopkins County Sheriff’s Investigators Lewis Tatum and Jace Anglin.

The News-Telegram filed a formal request today for the identity of the deputy with Hopkins County Sheriff Butch Adams. A similar public records request is pending with the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Minty grew up in Hopkins County along with her two brothers and a sister. Identification cards showed her to live at a Rowlett address at the time of her death.

She was reported at 5 p.m. Tuesday to have broken into her estranged boyfriend's County Road 2307 residence, marking the second time in as many weeks that she was accused of breaking into the residence. She had called her estranged boyfriend, and indicated she was armed with a firearm.

When sheriff's officers arrived, Minty was still inside the residence, where she was heard talking. An officer saw her holding a gun, and the officers took cover. She twice exited the residence, and was told to put down the weapon. A deputy trained in negotiation spoke with Minty each time she exited the house. She had lowered her weapon, pointing it down, and appeared to deputies to be readying to drop it when she suddenly lifted the gun, officers said Wednesday.

Minty was said to have then pointed the gun toward the officers, waving it  first at one, then across to the other two sheriff's officers in front of the house. A deputy from the back, seeing her pointing at the other officers, fired his duty weapon. She was struck in her lower torso.

Officers notified emergency dispatchers that she had been shot and requested an ambulance be sent to the location. One officer reportedly put pressure on the wound while the others began CPR on her.

Minty was rushed to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead around 6 p.m. by Glossup.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008