Well Done: Errant ember from unattended grill serves as reminder to keep a close watch during dry conditions
Kerry Craig | News-Telegram Assistant Editor

June 21, 2006 -- Burning wood that fell out of an unsupervised charcoal grill caught the wooden deck of a second-floor apartment balcony in the 100 block of South League Street on fire around 2:45 p.m. Tuesday.

A resident in a neighboring apartment said he called for firefighters after he smelled smoke.

"I smelled it clear into my house," said Antonio Shanks. "It was just that hickory smell."

Shanks stepped outside and saw the upstairs balcony on fire and ran across the street to call 911.

"I looked at my daughter and said 'Man, I gotta go and call before this catches and the balcony falls in on top of my kids or something,'" he said.

Shanks said he did not stop to try to put the fire out.

"We don't have water back here either, or I would have put it out myself," he said. "There are no [outside] water faucets at all, and my neighbor’s [water] was way over there."

When firefighters arrived on the scene, the blaze was quickly extinguished and the burned section of the balcony floor was chopped out to prevent the fire from rekindling. Damage was limited to that section of the floor.

Assistant Fire Chief Tim Vaughn said whatever had been cooking was "well done."

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008