Power surge from downed line said cause of Monday's house fire
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Jan. 11, 2006 - An electrical surge from a downed power line has been ruled the cause of the Monday morning blaze which damaged Victor and Angela Sancho’s residence on State Highway 19 north.

�It was my understanding that the power line running across the road was knocked down. When it was knocked down it caused a power surge into the house. There were two ignition sources,� Steve Caudle, Hopkins County fire investigator, said Wednesday morning. �There were two ignition sources, one in the attic and one in the living room. The one in the attic burned the insulation off the wires and burned a two by four. The one in the living room blew the electric duplex plug out of the wall and caught the couch on fire.�

Hopkins County and North Hopkins firefighters were initially dispatched to the location when the power line on SH 19 north went down.

Upon arrival, smoke was coming from the residence across the street. Sulphur Springs Fire Department was asked to send an engine to provide mutual aid assistance. Firefighters forced entry through the front door, and quickly contained the fire, according to Hopkins County Fire Chief Carl Nix.

Damage was limited to the living room, but the remainder of the house sustained heavy heat and smoke damage, according to Caudle.

Hopkins County Salvation Army is accepting donations at its headquarters inside The Bait Shop on South Broadway Street for the Sancho family. Clothing sizes needed are: ladies size 12 pants and extra large shirts, men’s size 34x36 pants, extra large shirts and size 13 shoes. For more information about assisting the family, contact Jo Marie Neal at 903-885-9858.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008