• • • ELECTION 2006 • • •
Note: Early voting in the Democratic and Republican party primaries
begins Tuesday, Feb. 21. In Hopkins County, there are only two contested
races for party nominations, both in the Democratic Party primary.
Seeking the post of Hopkins County Treasurer are Jim Rooks and Treva
Watson (outgoing treasurer Betty Bassham announced her plans to retire
last year). In the running for Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace are
incumbent Yvonne King and challenger Demetra Robinson.
To help voters become better acquainted with the candidates, the News-Telegram submitted questionnaires to the candidates covering a variety of subjects, from family background to stands on the issues. These are their responses.
Democratic Party Candidate for County Treasurer
Because of our love of the sport of fishing and my husband's family ties here, we were thrilled to have the opportunity to transfer over 17 years ago. My husband James and I have three children and seven grandchildren. Our two daughters are employed in Hopkins County, and three of our grandchildren attend Como-Pickton ISD.
Why are you seeking this office?
I am seeking the office of county treasurer because I believe I have the experience and skills required to fulfill the duties of the office. I have more than 25 years of experience in county government. Fourteen of those years I have spent working for Hopkins County, and I believe that during this time I have developed a good working relationship with my co-workers and elected officials.
What are your qualifications?
I have an accounting background and have utilized my skills throughout my career. My employment with Hopkins County has been as an assistant auditor, and the requirements and skills needed to fulfill this position include many of the same requirements of the county treasurer.
Please identify what you consider the three most significant areas of interest, need or concern in the office you are seeking:
1. The office of the county treasurer requires a continued steady and conservative hand investing, receiving and disbursing county funds.
2. Employee benefits/skyrocketing cost of health care.
3. Continue to keep the treasurer's office current with ever-changing banking and county procedures and laws.
If elected, how would you address these concerns?
1. As Hopkins County Treasurer, it would be my privilege to serve you and to safely and prudently manage the county's fiscal resources. I view every taxpayer dollar as a precious resource and I look forward to leading an office of financial credibility for the citizens of Hopkins County.
2. To improve the employee health care benefit while reducing health care costs. By researching options this year, we have already reduced the cost and saved a considerable amount of money without compromising benefits.
3. To continue to bring new ideas, procedures and processes to the office that will keep it secure, more efficient and cost effective.
Please provide a short statement to voters about your candidacy:
As county treasurer, I will eagerly accept the constitutional duty to protect the fiscal interest of the taxpayers but, more importantly, I will have a moral obligation to conduct business in an open, impartial and responsible manner.