|Let your talents shine at this year’s Fall Festival Household Arts Contest|
|By JOHANNA HICKS | Hopkins County Extension Agent for Family and Consumer Sciences|
Aug. 20, 2006 -- Have you ever wondered how you could show off a hand-painted piece of art, a perfect photo that captured the perfect expression, a masterpiece stained glass creation, or a hand-sewn outfit that everyone raves over? I have just the answer for you ... the 2006 Household Arts Contest.
Over 200 entries were exhibited last year, and this year, we're looking to increase that number even more. There is literally a category for everything hand-made, home-grown, hand-crafted, home-baked, or home-preserved! This contest is held as part of the Hopkins County Fall Festival each year, where thousands of people enjoy roaming the Civic Center grounds and High School for good eats, fellowship, unique purchases, and lots of good, clean fun for the whole family. There are a few rules to remember about the 2006 Household Arts Contest:
1. Entrants must be Hopkins County residents.
2. Articles may be exhibited only by the maker and must have been made within the past twelve months.
3. Items may be checked in on Thursday, Sept. 14 from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and Friday, Sept. 15, from 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Judging begins at 10:30 a.m.
4. Check-in will be held in the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Center.
5. Items will be on display following judging until 5 p.m. on Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 16.
6. Winners' pictures will be made at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 16.
7. Age divisions are: children (up to age 10); youth (ages 11-17); adults (ages 18-69); Older Texan (70+). A Nursing Home division is also offered. Entry categories are: Clothing, Food Preservation, Bake Show, Handiwork, Holiday/Seasonal, Creative Crafts, Art work, Scrapbooks, Photography, Quilts, Dolls, Horticulture, and Nursing Home Division (judged separately)
8. Professionals may enter as an exhibitor only, and not for competition.
9. Each entry will be awarded a ribbon, with "Best of Show" going to the first place entry in each age division and entry category.
Judges for the event have been certified through a series of special training workshops held during 2006, and all are very qualified to serve. For a complete list of entry categories, contact the County Extension Office, 903-885-3443.
Thursday, Aug. 24 -- Household Arts Contest volunteer meeting, County Extension Office, 5:30 p.m. Light meal served. All interested individuals are invited to attend.
Saturday, Aug. 26 -- Hopkins County 4-H Achievement Banquet, 6:30 p.m., Wesley United Methodist Church
"The right word may be effective, but no work was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause." -- Mark Twain