Woman, 32, dies in I-30 collision
School teacher’s car struck from behind while traffic held up by another accident on interstate
Kerry Craig | News-Telegram Assistant Editor

Aug. 6, 2006 -- A Sulphur Springs elementary school teacher died in a multi-vehicle accident of busy Interstate 30 just after 1 p.m. Friday.

Holly Kay White, 32, was pronounced dead at the accident scene by Justice of the Peace Yvonne King. Funeral services are pending with West Oaks Funeral Home.

White, a fourth grade teacher at Travis Elementary School, was reported to have been on the way to meet with friends at Lake Cypress Springs when she encountered a traffic jam caused by an earlier truck accident two miles away.

According to King and State Trooper David Reynolds, traffic was backed up on the interstate while the roadway was being cleared at the site of the first accident near the 143 mile marker of I-30 when the second wreck occurred.

Reynolds said the Ford Mustang White was driving was stopped behind a bob-tail truck when her vehicle was struck from behind by another car. The force of the collision smashed White's Mustang into the rear of the truck in front of her.

The driver of the second car, a Volkswagen, was a 56-year-old Mount Vernon man who was going home from work. He was reported to sustained cuts and bruises in the accident.

Although sheriff's deputies were within two miles of the accident, traffic congestion on the interstate and frontage roads delayed their reaching the scene of the fatal accident. The first officer on the scene immediately called for paramedics and for all available units from the sheriff's office to help with traffic.

The first accident, which involved an 18-wheeler, was reported just after 10 a.m. Friday. The  truck apparently had a tire blow out and ran into the center median with portions of the truck and trailer blocking part of both the east and westbound lanes of I-30 at the Franklin County Line.

Damage to the truck resulted in a fuel spill that required an extended period of time to clean up and forced the closure of the interstate, which resulted in the traffic tie-up.

With the interstate blocked by two accidents, traffic was detoured onto U.S. Highway 67, but remained backed up for two miles or more.

As traffic was beginning to unwind on I-30, a third accident was reported on County Road 3524 that resulted in one person being transported to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital by ambulance. Reports indicate both vehicles involved in that wreck were heavily damaged.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008