Two captured after overnight chase and search
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

April 10, 2006 - What should have been a routine traffic stop Sunday night, resulted in 14-hour multi-agency manhunt for two Sulphur Springs men who lead Cumby police in a chase from Interstate 30 down several county roads before fleeing on foot after crashing their truck.

The two men were reported to have one outstanding warrant each, passenger James Arthur Baxley for a parole violation, and driver David Brent Forshee for theft by check. Authorities suspect the pair fled from authorities in an attempt to avoid arrest on the outstanding charges. Instead of avoiding jail, the pair ended up hiding in the woods over night and were taken into custody Monday morning by sheriff’s deputies on charges of felony evading arrest in a vehicle in addition to the outstanding warrants.

The incident began just after 10 p.m. Sunday, when Cumby Police Sgt. Amanda Taylor attempted to make a routine traffic stop on the pickup on I-30 at the 110 mile marker. Instead of stopping upon seeing Taylor’s emergency lights, the truck continued east on I-30 several miles before crossing to the south service road. The truck continued down several county roads with Taylor in pursuit until the truck ran off the road and into a fence on County Road 1110 between County Roads 1171 and 1218, according to Taylor.

After the pair then took off running, a manhunt was launched with sheriff’s deputies and state troopers assisting. After a perimeter was set up, Cpl. Eddie Moon was contacted to bring canine Jack to track the men. Although picking up a scene a few times, the dog was unsuccessful in locating the pair.

The search was officially halted at 12:38 a.m. Monday, but on-duty officers kept an eye for the pair throughout the night and followed up on leads as to their whereabouts.

After daylight, the next shift of deputies at the sheriff’s office along with investigators joined some of the night shift deputies who had stayed over and the search continued. A tip from a resident who spotted a man matching the description of the suspect who was walking down County Road 1111 paid off.

Deputy Tony Crouse, following up on the tip, found Baxley at a local wrecking yard. Baxley claimed to have been working there this morning. Crouse took him back to the person who called positively identified him as the person walking down the road. Crouse, who knew Baxley from previous dealings with the man, at that point took Baxley in custody as a suspect in the chase, and arrested him on the outstanding parole violation warrant.

About an hour later, Sheriff’s deputies received a call from a County Road 1172 resident who reported seeing a man enter her barn. After describing the man, officers began to suspect him to be the driver who had eluded officials Sunday night.

Deputies, sheriff’s investigators, state troopers and Cumby police responded to the call, but arrived after the man had left the dairy farmer’s barn. A perimeter was set up to include the Birch Creek area. Investigators were able to track the man through a field by following footprints to a creek where the footprints ended, according to sheriff’s reports.

Around 11:30 a.m. the suspect was spotted east of State Highway 19 on county Road 1116. Sheriff’s Investigator Lewis Tatum and Sgt. Todd Evans Forshee on CR 1116 a few minutes later took David Brent Forshee into custody. Forshee was released to Cumby Sgt. Amanda Taylor, who was filing felony evading arrest in a vehicle charges shortly after noon Monday.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008