Friday night fights delay game, keep police busy
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Sept. 18, 2005 -- Local authorities were taxed Friday night investigating three fights reported a few blocks of each other within about an hour, including incidents that temporarily halted the Sulphur Springs High School homecoming football game. 

One fight resulted in two teens being treated at the Hopkins County Memorial Hospital emergency room for injuries sustained in an altercation at Kids Kingdom, while two teens went to jail following a fight at the football stadium, and the third involved junior high school-age girls, according to police reports.

Two 15-year-olds were treated at the hospital Friday night for cuts and bruises alleged to have been sustained after a group of at least five other teens attacked them at Kids’s Kingdom in Buford City Park Friday night.

The suspects, according to other Sulphur Spring High School teens, reportedly had caused disturbances with one of the victim’s friends earlier in the week and had tried to get the 15-year-old to engage in a fight.

The 15-year-old was cornered at Kids Kingdom while running an errand for his parents. The other 15-year-old, seeing what was going on, attempted to defuse the situation as a mediator. The assailants would not back down, instead hitting the would-be peacemaker several times, witnesses told police.

The first boy tried to run upon seeing the violence, but was struck and knocked to the ground. When he got up, he was hit in the face and had a front tooth knocked out, according to police.

Both boys eventually were able to run away from the park to a nearby church, where family and friends picked them up. They were taken to the hospital, where police were contacted.

The offense is being filed as engaging in organized criminal activity, a third-degree felony offense. No arrests had been made in the incident Saturday morning as police were still interviewing people and investigating the incident.

Another incident resulted in two 18-year-olds who are staying at the Wesley United Methodist Church shelter being arrested for disorderly conduct after getting into  a fight at Gerald Prim Stadium around 10 p.m. One of the New Orleans natives was taken into custody at the football stadium after officers observed him fighting the other man, according to arrest reports.

The second escapee ran off on foot. He was said to have run around a house in the 700 block of Houston Street and was soon located a block away by another officer. The 18-year-old was identified and charged with disorderly conduct as well as evading arrest or detention shortly after 10:20 p.m., according to arrest reports.

The fights resulted in the Wildcat football game being delayed for about 10 minutes while authorities worked to assess and defuse the situations. Sheriff’s deputies also responded in the area to provide additional assistance.

Police also took a report at 10:30 p.m. of a third altercation alleged to have occurred on Houston Street just before the previous two disturbances.

A 12-year-old girl was alleged to have been approached by several other girls her age, including a set of twins who had been her friends until a dispute between their parents caused difficulties. One of the twins was accused of hitting her at least five times in the head and attempting to choke her. The assault was said to have occurred at about 9:30 p.m. while the victim was attending the carnival.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008