Sulphur Springs teen killed in rollover crash Wednesday
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Cumby Volunteer Firefighter Kyle Huddleston, left, and Hopkins County Firefighters Brian Fairchild and Shane Reed pull the body of 18-year-old Anthony James Curran from his mangled car Wednesday afternoon after it crashed into a tree off of Farm Road 1567.
Staff Photo by Angela Pitts   

Oct. 27, 2005 -- An 18-year-old Sulphur Springs man died Wednesday following an early afternoon crash on FM 1567 between State Highway 19 south and Miller Grove.

Anthony James Curran was thought to be traveling between school in Emory and his Sulphur Springs residence in a gray Chrysler when the wreck occurred. He apparently lost control of the car and skidded northeast across both lanes. The car crossed the north ditch and went through a barbed wire fence into a densely wooded area where it struck one tree. The car at some point spun around and ended up resting on its top with the rear of the car resting against another tree.

Two teens traveling west from Miller Grove spotted the car in the brush just off FM 1567 between SH 19 and Miller Grove at 1:02 p.m. and immediately alerted authorities that a car had overturned, leaving one unconscious person trapped beneath it.

State troopers, sheriff's deputies, Hopkins County Emergency Medical Services personnel, and Hopkins and Cumby firefighters were dispatched to the crash scene.

When Cumby and Hopkins County firefighters arrived, they noted the driver's door to have been ripped off the car and resting behind the tree it impacted. Curran had been partially ejected from the car, with only the shoulder strap of the safety belt holding him in the car. He had no pulse when checked by both firemen and paramedics dispatched to the location. 

Officials said he likely was killed on impact. Justice of the Peace Yvonne King ruled the time of death at 1:02 p.m. Wednesday.

Although neither alcohol nor other substances were thought to have contributed to the accident, King ordered an autopsy to be conducted by the Dallas medical examiner's office.

Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Trent Price led the investigation in the accident, with State Troopers Cody Sanders, Corey Kernell and George Harris assisting. Price said he believes speed and road conditions caused Curran to lose control of his car.

Funeral arrangements for Curran were pending Thursday with West Oaks Funeral Home.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008