Saturday deaths called murder, suicide
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Nov. 14, 2005 - Police are ruling the deaths of a man and his estranged wife “apparent murder-suicide” pending the results of autopsy reports for Daryl Dewitt and Cara Dewitt.

Cara and Daryl Dewitt were reported to have been recently separated. The 41-year-old woman was said to have gone to the 300 block of Lee Street to her estranged husband’s home to speak with him Friday. Family members became concerned when the woman did not return home after a reasonable period of time had passed, according to Sulphur Springs Police Investigator David Gilmore.

Several hours later, family members contacted authorities out of concern for Cara Dewitt’s safety as her 48-year-old husband was known to have a history of violence based on previous convictions, according to reports.

Acting on the request for a welfare check, police went to Daryl DeWitt’s residence shortly after midnight Friday. Upon arriving at the Lee Street house, authorities found both Cara and Daryl DeWitt inside the residence dead of apparent gunshot wounds.

After a thorough examination of the scene, police determined the deaths to be an apparent murder-suicide stemming from gunshot wounds. While evidence at the scene was fairly conclusive of a murder-suicide, the bodies of both Cara DeWitt and Daryl DeWitt were sent to the Dallas County medical examiner’s office where a full autopsy was to be conducted on each to determine the exact cause of death.

Police investigators were still awaiting the initial report from the medical examiners office regarding their findings Monday morning.

Daryl DeWitt was convicted in August of 1995 on two felony counts of kidnapping, and was convicted in June of 1996 for injury to a child, a felony offense. DeWitt was sentenced to serve 10 years probation on each of the kidnapping charges and 10 years probation for the injury to a child charge, according to court records.

All three charges stemmed from the same incident, but the kidnapping and injury cases were tried at two different times.

DeWitt completed the 10 year probated sentences on the kidnapping charges in August. He was still serving 10 years on the child injury conviction, which extended through June of 2006, according to probation officers.

Funeral arrangements for Cara DeWitt were pending with Murray-Orwosky Funeral Home Monday.

Graveside services for Daryl Lynn DeWitt were slated for 3 p.m. Monday in Shirley Cemetery with the Rev. Fred Lewis officiating; arrangements for Mr. DeWitt were accorded by West Oaks Funeral Home.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008