Officers say Monday chase one for the books
Maryland men were in town for court appearance

Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

June 28, 2005 -- Two Maryland men in Hopkins County for a Tuesday afternoon court appointment on drug-related charges compounded their worries Monday night by leading police in a pursuit which concluded with both men being arrested on methamphetamine charges.

The instance marks the second time in as many days that Sulphur Springs Police Officer Mitch Griggs engaged in a pursuit on South Broadway Street, but police officials said Monday night's chase will be one of the more notable the department has participated in because of the circumstances.

"This was a unique stop," SSPD Patrol Capt. Norman Colyer said Tuesday morning. "I don't know why they would not yield. They were both from Maryland and were supposed to have court dealings here in Sulphur Springs today."

The pursuit involving the two men in a blue Chevrolet Z71 pickup began just after 10 p.m. when Griggs spotted the truck, driven by 24-year-old Victor Niisaban Taylor, turning from the wrong lane of traffic on South Broadway Street at East Industrial Drive.

Griggs turned on his emergency lights to stop the southbound truck, but Taylor failed to yield. The policeman advised dispatchers he was initiating a pursuit down State Highway 154 south, and Lt. Scotty Sewell and several Hopkins County sheriff's officers responded to assist him.

The vehicle continued south at speeds between 40 and 50 miles per hour, until Taylor stopped the truck at the intersection of SH 154 south and County Road 1211 near Restlawn Cemetery in Shooks Chapel community.

Taylor was ordered out of the vehicle and placed on the ground. The officer detected a marijuana odor which seemed to come from the passenger compartment. Police located a small plastic bag containing a substance, which later tested positive as methamphetamine, lying in plain view in the truck.

At that point, both Taylor and the passenger, Dewayne Heywood Douglas, 23, were taken into custody and both charged with possession of less than one gram of a controlled substance. Taylor was also charged with evading arrest or detention in a vehicle, a felony offense.

Police also seized $5,700 in cash, a combination of the funds the two men had with them.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008