|Creative minds need to get ready for Fall Fest Household Arts contest|
|By Johanna Hicks | Extension Agent/FCS|
Aug. 7, 2005 -- Fall is the favorite season for many ... excitement about a new school year, football, soccer, cooler temperatures, beautifully colored tree leaves, crisp air, and the Hopkins County Fall Festival! Well, maybe it is a little soon to be thinking about cooler temperatures and crisp air, but it is definitely time to think about the Fall Festival Household Arts Contest.
Some very exciting changes are planned for the event this year, so mark this on your calendar and plan to enter all your wonderful home-grown, home-sewn, home-painted, home-designed, home-baked, home-crafted items. The Household Arts Contest entries will be on exhibit in the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Room, Sept. 16-17, with registration on Sept. 15 (4:30-6 p.m.) and Sept. 16 (7:30-10 a.m.).
There are a few guidelines that must be followed. Here are some basic reminders:
1) Items entered must have been made within the past twelve months -- September, 2004 to August, 2005.
2) Entrants must be Hopkins County residents.
3) Each entrant (with the exception of Nursing Home residents) must pay a minimal entry fee, which is used to cover the cost of awards. The entry fee entitles individuals to enter as many divisions as they wish.
4) There are 5 age divisions (something for everyone!): children -- up to age 10; youth -- ages 11-17; adult -- ages 18-69; older Texan -- age 70 and over; Nursing home -- open to any individual or group who resides in a Hopkins County Nursing Home.
5) Professionals may enter for display purposes only and not for competition.
So what types of items may be entered? Glad you asked! I know you have something that will fit one of these categories:
Clothing -- classic, after-five, sportswear, children’ clothing, wearable art
Food Preservation -- canned fruits & vegetables, jams, jellies, preserves, spreads, pickles, relish, dehydrated foods
Bake Show -- breads, cakes, pies, cookies, candy, decorated cakes Handiwork -- knit, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint
Holiday/seasonal -- Decorations, tablecloths, wreaths, Nativity scenes
Creative Arts -- Crafts, ceramics, stained glass, painted household accessories
Art Work -- oil, water color, pen and ink, rub-outs, pencil, acrylic, tole
Scrapbooks -- any kind
Photography -- Portrait, scenic, still life, animals, people, special effects, grouping
Quilts -- hand quilted, machine quilted, stitch combinations, baby quilts, quilted items
Dolls -- Antique reproductions restored in the past year, contemporary dolls, cloth dolls, doll costumes
Horticulture -- agriculture, cut flowers, potted plants, hanging baskets, succulents, dried, gourds
Nursing Home Division -- will be judged separately, using the above categories
Hopefully, this sparks an interest with you. The location will be much better this year, and will offer visitors to the fair an opportunity to see just how talented our Hopkins County residents are! For a full list of rules and category descriptions, come by our office at 228 Hinnant St. The Fall Festival catalogs will be ready in just a few days, so be sure to check out all the other exciting events taking place Sept. 10-17.
Listen or thy tongue will make thee deaf
-- Native American Proverb