Popular nightclub destroyed by fire
Kerry Craig | News-Telegram Assistant Editor

June 21, 2004 -- Flames roared through a popular Sulphur Springs night club late Saturday evening, destroying the building, which was scheduled to re-open next week following an extensive remodeling project.

No injuries were reported in connection with the blaze.

The first report of the fire at Bustin' Loose came in at 11:16 p.m. Saturday and the first fire truck on the scene reported flames coming from the front of the building and called for mutual aide assistance from Brinker, Arbala and Como volunteer fire departments as well as to initiate a call-back of all off-duty Sulphur Springs firemen to battle the blaze.

For firefighters, the fire was a defensive battle to contain the fire due to the almost total involvement of the structure.

The scene Sunday morning was a smoldering pile of rubble with only portions of two walls still standing. A scissors-lift, used to reach upper areas inside the club during the remodeling stood amid the rubble, misshapen by the intense heat of the fire.

Outside, next to the building, one side of a utility trailer was scorched and the tires were burned off. On the trailer were bushes and trees that were to have been used in landscaping outside the building.

An investigator from the state fire marshal's office was on the fire scene Monday morning in an attempt to determine the cause of the blaze.

Tim Legrand, one of the managing partners of the night club, said Monday morning it was still much too early to attempt to put a dollar-amount on the damage.

"We still have not had time to sit down with the contractor doing the remodeling to attempt to get an estimate of the loss in the fire," Legrand said.

He also said it was too soon to say if the successful night club would be rebuilt.

The club was closed May 10 for the remodeling project and plans had called for the club to open next week, on June 25.

Along with the remodeling of the club, Legrand said the name was being changed from Bustin' Loose to Borrowed Money.

Firefighters were called back to the scene two times Sunday after the fire rekindled.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008