Investigators: I-30 death appeared intentional
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Feb. 27, 2004 -- The 22-year-old Sulphur Springs man killed Friday after colliding with a freight truck while running across Interstate 30 west was identified as Michael Ray Hershey, authorities said later in the day.

Residents at an apartment complex told police Friday that Hershey ran across the north service road and into oncoming traffic on Interstate 30 west in front of the 127 exit following a disturbance at their home.

"The deceased was involved in a disturbance with his ex-girlfriend at an adjacent apartment complex. ... He said 'You're not going to see me again,' 'Give my love to my daughter,'" Texas Department of Public Safety Cpl. George Harris wrote of his findings in his report of the incident. The report also stated that the deceased's actions of running into traffic on Interstate 30 "appeared to be an intentional act."

The driver of the Yellow Transportation Inc. diesel truck attempted to brake as his truck approached the exit, leaving skid marks the length of the exit but was unable to stop in time to avoid hitting Hershey, investigators ascertained based on information received from the truck driver, witnesses and the marks on the roadway.

Hershey collided with the grill of the diesel cab and was thrown several feet in front of the 18-wheeler before landing face down on the pavement.

Local authorities were contacted initially by the residents at the apartment complex, who reported that Hershey was causing a disturbance, attempting to break in the door of their apartment.

Sulphur Springs police and nearby Hopkins County sheriff's deputies responded to the call of an aggravated man causing a disturbance and were en route to the East Industrial Drive apartment complex moments later when dispatchers received another call that a man had been struck by a truck on Interstate 30 west in front of Comfort Suites. Sulphur Springs Fire Department and Hopkins County Emergency Medical Services responded at that time.

Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Ronny Glossup was contacted to complete a death report on the pedestrian after emergency teams arrived. Glossup pronounced Hershey dead at 11:30 a.m. Friday and ordered an autopsy of the deceased. A blood analysis of the truck driver was also to be taken, a standard procedure in such wrecks.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008