Two die in separate accidents
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Dec. 14, 2004 -- A 25-year-old Sulphur Springs man died Monday night as a result of a one-vehicle accident on County Road 3504 Monday night, making him the second man killed in an auto accident occurring in Hopkins County in as many days.

Kenny R. Beaver was pronounced dead at the scene by Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Ronny Glossup shortly before 10 p.m. Monday. Funeral arrangements are pending with West Oaks Funeral Home.

Dispatchers received a 911 call at 9:06 p.m. from a man reporting the one-vehicle rollover accident and one unconscious person. When first responders arrived, they confirmed the man to be unconscious, adding that he had no pulse.

Beaver was apparently driving his older model Chevrolet pickup east on County Road 3504 at about 9 p.m. when the truck struck a wooden culvert rail. The vehicle exited the road, traveled across the right-of-way and into a tree before overturning, according to an initial report by State Trooper Cody Sanders, who acted as lead investigator for the local Texas Department of Public Safety office.

Beaver was believed to have been killed at or close to impact. He was not wearing a seat belt. No other information about the wreck was available Tuesday morning.

Funeral arrangements for Beaver were pending with West Oaks Funeral Home at noon Tuesday.

Efrain Buenrostro Gonzalez, 27, of Sulphur Springs died Sunday as a result of a vehicle crash. His sport utility vehicle and that of Judith Story Stiles of Longview collided head-on at 12:55 p.m. Sunday about three miles east of Sulphur Springs. Gonzalez was trapped inside his vehicle and is thought to have died on impact.

Both vehicles caught fire after the crash, and two men who left the scene before state troopers arrived rescued the Longview woman and her 20-year-old son Regen from their burning vehicle. Both were hospitalized. The woman suffered second- to third-degree burns on one leg, while her disabled son suffered less severe burns on his back and a broken leg. Both also sustained minor scrapes and bruising.

Gonzalez was pronounced dead at the scene. A funeral mass for Gonzalez was held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 15, at St. James Catholic Church, with burial following in Como Cemetery.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008