130 mph motorcycle chase ends with wreck, arrest
Faith Huffman | News-Telegram News Editor

Aug. 30, 2004 -- A Caddo Mills man earned himself several hours stay in Hopkins County jail and a trip to the emergency room, following a high speed chase by police which began in Sulphur Springs and ended at Loop 178 in Commerce, where he lost control of and was thrown off of the motorcycle.

Sulphur Springs Police Officer Jason Walton arrested Tracy Alan Jackson, 36, at 12:13 a.m. Sunday for evading arrest or detention in a vehicle and driving while intoxicated. He was released later Sunday after posting $5,000 bond on the felony evading arrest charge and $1,000 on the DWI charge.

The chase began when Walton attempted to stop the man at 12:01 a.m. Sunday on Houston Street at Hillcrest Drive after observing the westbound motorcycle weaving in and out of traffic, during which the driver failed to signal lane changes more than once. The Caddo Mills man failed to pull over when Walton activated the lights of his patrol vehicle, instead accelerating on the motorcycle west to State Highway 11 toward Commerce.

The officer chased the motorcycle, which continued at speeds in excess of 130 miles per hour and continued to drift into the oncoming lane of traffic several times, Walton's report states.

The motorcycle continued west on SH 11 to Hunt County and into Commerce and to Culvert Street where it ran a red light as it crossed State Highway 50. The motorcycle was noted to have been traveling at such a high rate of speed when he ran the red light that the bike became airborne before continuing west on Culvert Street to Loop 178.

As the bike approached State Highway 224, Jackson decreased speed in an apparent attempt to turn south, to go the wrong direction on the one-way entrance ramp but apparently lost control and was thrown off onto the highway.

Walton ordered Jackson at gunpoint to the ground and placed him under arrest for evading arrest and DWI. He was taken by ambulance to Commerce hospital, where he was treated for injuries sustained in the wreck, including a cut arm.

Jackson was released from the hospital to officers, who took him to the Hopkins County jail, without further incident. He was noted, however, to refuse to give a blood sample for analysis of blood-alcohol content.

Older Archives

Looking for News-Telegram Sports and News Archives for January 2004 - November 2008