LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram Sports Wildcats beat RC for first home soccer win

Wildcats beat RC for first home soccer win

E-mail Print PDF

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    The message that Andy Holt delivered to his Sulphur Springs Wildcat soccer team after Tuesday’s game apparently sank in.
    Holt, Wildcat head soccer coach, told his players after Tuesday’s 1-1 tie with Pittsburg that they needed to make a one-goal lead stand up.

    The Wildcats took a 1-0 lead with about 14 minutes gone in the game Friday night, then held on for the last 66 minutes to beat the Royse City Bulldogs by that same score on a freezing night at Gerald Prim Stadium.
     Senior Brian DeLa Rosa scored the match’s only goal on a nice looping pass from senior Ryan Watson from 20 yards out on the right side. DeLa Rosa made a running header to slip the ball past the Royse City keeper for a 1-0 lead at 26:06 of the first half.
    “We got the one goal and then we were able to hold onto it,” Holt said. “That’s something we’ve got to be able to do, and we did it tonight. I was proud of those guys back there.”
    He singled out juniors Samuel Gallegos, Juan Gomez and Daniel Santana for their all-around play.
    “I think Santana at the right back position did a lot of good things offensively for us,” Holt explained. “I thought Juan and Sammy did a great job of playing defense. They played smart.”
    Though the defense held Royse City off the scoreboard, the offense continued to put pressure on the Bulldog defense throughout the game. The Wildcats had eight shots on goal and eight corner kicks, plus had two other goals disallowed for violations.
    “I thought our offense was so much better tonight. We had more movement tonight with DeLa Rosa and Josue Roque, and we had more chances,” the coach said. “Tonight, we moved the ball, we got it onto people’s feet and then we played it into space when It was time to play it to space. We were more aggressive tonight.”
    After DeLa Rosa’s goal midway through the first half, the Wildcats had two more shots on goal in the next two minutes when senior Josue Roque and freshman Adrian Lopez both tried the goal, but RC keeper Preston Browning made saves on both shots.
    DeLa Rosa pumped in a goal at 30:45 of the first half, but it was wiped out because of an offside call. He then had another goal, off an assist by Andy Green, with three minutes remaining in the contest, but it too was disallowed.
    In the second half, DeLa Rosa had an opportunity from 10 yards away and sent the shot hard and high to the left corner, but Royse City’s Browning was able to leap and get a fist on the ball to knock it away. Then, with 25 minutes to go, Tanner Ramirez, Brian Roque and DeLa Rosa all got involved in a flurry in front of the Royse City goal, but the ball kept being deflected away from the net by Bulldog defenders.
    SSHS keeper Moises Torres had two saves, both in the second half as Royse City wasn’t able to take a shot on goal until 35 minutes remained in the game. However, the Bulldogs had three shots on goal in the second half, and Torres.
    The Wildcats (2-4-4 record) play in the Pleasant Grove tournament next weekend, then have just one game after that before District 19-4A play begins Feb. 8.
    “We are progressing,” Holt said. “I think we’ve found our lineup. This was our second or third game with that lineup and I feel like that’s going to help us getting familiar with our spots and our positions and the runs we need to make.”




mySSnews Login

User Menu