LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram Sports Wildcats win Senior Night game, 47-28

Wildcats win Senior Night game, 47-28

E-mail Print PDF

    The Sulphur Springs Wildcats defended the Prim, one last time this season, taking a 47-28 win over Marshall in the regular season finale for both playoff-bound teams.

    The game had little suspense and the outcome was for pride and playoff positioning. The game was Senior Night for Sulphur Springs and the team came out playing well as they rolled to a 40-7 halftime lead.
    Larry Pryor completed 14-of-21 passes for 235 yards with two touchdowns, one interception. Pryor also ran for two score, rushing for 57 yards on 10 attempts. Alex Burney caught both scoring passes and had six total receptions for 85 yards.
    Willy Ivery, in his last home game, still found ways to delight the crowd. He had 15 carries for 156 yards, averaging 10.4 yards per attempt. Ivery scored on runs of 9, 5 and 32.
    The win advances the Wildcats to the playoffs. They will meet Denison (6-4) at Texas A&M-Commerce at 7:30 p.m. Sulphur Springs is the visiting team.
    "Overall it was a good win. The seniors got one more win at home and we were able to play a lot of people," said Greg Owens, Sulphur Springs head football coach. "It is good to go into the playoffs with a win like this. I was glad the way we came out and established our offense and marched down the field. We scored, then got a stop on defense. Then scored again. We had an explosion of points in the second quarter."
    Sulphur Springs started the game off with one of their more impressive drives of the year. They traded 71-yards in 11 plays using several runs to get yardage. Ivery and Pryor both had runs early. Then Pryor threw to Alex Burney for a six-yard gain. On a fourth and a foot, the Wildcats got the needed yardage when Pryor bowled over the pile for a first and 10 from their own 40. Pryor went back to Burney, this time for a 21-yard gain and a first down at the 37 of Marshall. Pryor ran for seven yards to keep the drive going. Ivery had dashes of 3, 5 and 4 yards on three straight carries. Pryor called out his own number scoring on a four-yard run to cap the drive. Ryan Watson's kick was good and the Wildcats took a 7-0 with 8:00 left in the opening frame.
    The Sulphur Springs defense forced a punt following a short possession for the Mavs as they advanced from their 19 to near midfield.
    The Wildcats knew what to do on their second possession. The same thing as they did on the first drive. This time it took Sulphur Springs 80 seconds to cover 80-yards and score again in five plays. Pryor threw to Isaiah Lacy for a 48-yard gain.  Then Pryor found Burney open, this time for an 18-yard connection and another first down. Set up deep in Mavs' territory, Pryor turned an gave the ball to Ivery who did the rest. Ivery juked through the line, using his speed to jet nine-yards for his first touchdown of the game. Watson again was true with the point after kick and Sulphur Springs went up 14-0 with 4:10 left in the first quarter.
    Marshall put together a scoring drive of their own. Quarterback Justin Hart ran some plays, other times it was Jauque Keykendall took the direct snap from the Wildcat formation. Cameron Haller had a 14-yard gain. Then Kuykendall raced for first down. Hart threw to John Love for an eight-yard completion with Zach Spigner of the Wildcats meeting the play with a solid hit. Hart went to Marek Reyes for an 18-yard completion. The drive was capped when Hart threw to Leonard for an eight-yard touchdown. Emanuel Acuna boomed the extra point and Marshall had cut the Sulphur Springs lead to 14-7.
    Pryor again was at the controls, moving the Wildcats from their own 27 to the goal line of Marshall. Pryor connected with Ben Brooks for an 18-yard gain to open the drive. Ivery ran for seven yards. Then Pryor following his blocked to pick up a first down as the first period ended. Pryor ran up the middle on quick dash for seven yards. Then he went back to Brooks, this time the pass and run combination was good for 17 yards and another first down. Ivery closed out the drive with style. The senior scat back took the handoff and cut around the corner for a five-yard scoring run. Ivery came to the out-of-bounds team area blowing kisses to the stands as the Wildcats went up 21-7 with 10:53 to play in the second period.
    Ryan Watson executed an onside kick skipping the pigskin across the moist turf. DeAndre Wright came out of the pile with the football for the Wildcats.
    Watson said, "It's a play we practice just about every day. It was good to see it work. I felt my feet sink in the turf a couple of times. I knew the field was slick."
    The Wildcats had their first play halted when they were called for a personal foul for action at the line. On the next play the Wildcats gave the ball back on a turnover.
    Marshall took over at their own 45-yard line. Then it was time for the "Hood and Wood Show" for the Wildcats. Haller tried for a gain outside, but was halted in his tracks by Garret Hood. Two players later, Hood scrambled out of the pocket and ran wide, only to be met by Bryton Wood and friends who stopped the play with a stone wall and forced a punt.
    Riding the momentum of the impressive defense plays, the offense went back in high gear.
    Taking over from their own 29-yard line, the Wildcats were very efficient scoring on a five-play drive, even managing to overcome an offensive holding call. After Ivery was halted for a loss. Pryor completed four passes in a row, one to CJ Stephens and two to Burney for gains to thr 44-yard line. Pryor then throw to Ivery for a 39-yard gainer moving the ball to the shadow of the goal post. Pryor called his own number and finished the drive with an 18-yard scoring run, which ended with a dive as he used his 6-2 frame to stretch for the touchdown. The snap for the extra point was too low and the Wildcats had to settle with a 20 point lead, going up 27-7 with 6:22 left in the second frame.
    Marshall got the ball back and moved from their 36 to the 9-yard line of the Wildcats. Kuykendall had runs of 16 and 12 yards to spark the drive. The Mavs went back to the Wildcat call on fourth down and were stopped by Sulphur Springs and the ball went over on downs.
    Sulphur Springs took over at their own 7 with 2:39 left in the first half. Ivery went to the backfield and took the direct snap on some tricky by Sulphur Springs. Ivery picked up 43 yards, moving the ball near midfield. Then Pryor threw to Burney for a 23-yard gain. Ivery got back in gear, taking a handoff on a second and 10 from the 32-yard line of Marshall, covering all the real estate by himself. The senior back followed blocking, then turned outside and easily outran the defenders to the end zone. The Wildcats again failed to get an extra point, but had a 33-7 lead with less than two minutes to go before intermission.
    The Wildcats got another big play from the kicking game. Marshall fumbled the ensuing kickoff with Parker Aguilar covering the slick pigskin.
    Sulphur Springs took over at the 44-yard line of the Mavericks and went to work. Ivery took a handout and cut outside for a 30-yard gain. Then Ivery went to one of his favorite targets, Burney, for a 14-yard scoring strike. The extra point gave Sulphur Springs a 40-7 lead.
    Marshall went nowhere fast on their next possession. Carson Hicks, Wood and Dedric Smith swarmed the ball for a loss. Then on what appeared to be the last play of the game, Hart threw a long, desperation pass to the end zone. Sulphur Springs was waiting for it with defenders deep. Larry Pryor came up with the catch and appeared to have returned the ball all the way, close to 100 yards, for a score on the other end of the field as the clock showed triple zeros. Flags were thrown late on the play and Sulphur Springs was called for excessive celebration. The touchdown was negated. Sulphur Springs did return for one final play in the first half on an untimed down. The Wildcats from the 15-yard line of Marshall took a knee and went into the locker room  riding a 33-point lead.
    Sulphur Springs got a scoring chance in the third period, thanks again to the special teams. The Wildcat defense forced a punt, which was blocked by Hood’s long arm stretching out from his 6-3 frame. The Wildcats took over the 13-yard line of Marshall. Sulphur Springs turned the ball back over on a fumble and it was Marshall with a scoring chance.
    The Mavs used Kuykendall runs and passes from Hall to cash in the scoring drive. The touchdown came when Hart to Haller for a 37-yard scoring play with 1:13 left in the third period. The extra point made it a 40-14 ball game.
    The teams traded turnovers in the final minute of the third frame. Ivery had the ball knocked out of his hands. Then moments later, Hart threw a high arching pass which was intercepted by Jaylon Dugan of Sulphur Springs.
    The Wildcats put together their final scoring drive of the night as the fourth quarter started. Tyler Rosamond, sent in at running back to give Ivery a rest, took off for a 72- yard run. Pryor threw to Lacy to move the team to 12-yard line of the Mavs. Pryor went back up top, throwing a five-yard scoring dart to Burney over the middle. The Watson extra point made the score 47-14 with 10 minutes still left to play.
    Marshall put together a 57-yard scoring drive, using newly installed quarterback Tanner Arst. Arst threw a short scoring pass to Leonard.
    Arst directed another drive later in the game. Arst threw to Love for a 38-yard touchdown down the visitors sidelines to make the final, 47-28.
    The win moves the Wildcats to 7-3 for the year, 4-1 in district. Marshall fell to 3-7, 2-3.
    Ivery said after the game, "It was a good way to end my senior year, taking a win at Prim. I got emotional about playing here for my last game. I did not want to show it. I might in a minute when everybody gets off the field."




mySSnews Login

User Menu