LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram Sports Wildcats trounce Tigers 63-28 in district debut

Wildcats trounce Tigers 63-28 in district debut

E-mail Print PDF

    The king is still the king, at least for another October night.
    Sulphur Springs rolled through district play in 2012, undefeated and undisputed champs.

    They showed the 14-4A teams they are still in charge, hammering Mount Pleasant 63-28 Friday night at Gerald Prim Stadium.
    The Wildcats advanced to 4-2 overall, 1-0 in district. Mount Pleasant fell to 3-3, 0-1.
    It was Willy to the left, Willy up the middle and Willy down the sidelines.
    The only question for the night was how many touchdowns Will-he score?
    Willy Ivery put on a show to be remembered for year. Scoring seven touchdowns, despite playing sparingly in the second half.
    He set a record for seven in one game. He had six rushing and one receiving touchdown in the rout.
    Ivery said with a grin, "The O-line a great job. I hugged them after every touchdown. They do a great job in practice with the work we all put in makes us all better."
    Ivery scored on runs of 1, 49, 5, 25, 67 and 55, he also caught a 46-yard scoring pass from Larry Pryor during his special night.
    Ivery had 245 yards rushing on just 15 carries, a stellar 16.5 average. He caught three passes for 69 yards for a 23 yard per catch average.
    Quarterback Larry Pryor completed 10-of-16 passes for 229 yards, including one touchdown with no interceptions. Pryor also ran nine times for 75 yards and two scores.
    Sulphur Springs had 639 total yrards on 65 snaps. Mount Pleasant was held to 333 yards on 58 plays.
    Cain Cody led the defense with two and a half sacks and two tackles for losses. Dedric Smith with nine tackles; Melroy Givens and Dekeistan Mosley had seven tackles each.
    K.D. Cannon of Mount Pleasant had 46 yards rushing and caught six passes for 83 yards. He had two touchdowns.
    Sulphur Springs head coach Greg Owens was pleased with the outcome and the 1-0 start in district.
    "We had a great night, the line had a super game," Owens said. "Mount Pleasant had their hands full with Willy. I though Willy and Larry (Pryor) did a great job. Our defense held K.D. (Cannon) down. We just started rolling and the scoring snowballed. Then we came out in the third quarter and scored early, I think that put a nail in the coffin."
    The Sulphur Springs defense flexed their muscles early, forcing Mount Pleasant to punt when their first possession netted very little. A good Alex Burney return set the Wildcats up at the 34-yard line of the Tigers.
    Ivery ran wide for eight yard. Pryor took off for a good gain, to pick up the first down at the 18 of Mount Pleasant. From there, Pryor went to the air hitting Mitchell DeYong for a 17-yard gain. Set up at first and goal from the shadow of the goal post, Ivery let his lively feet to the talking with the short scoring surge. The try for a two-point conversion failed, but Sulphur Springs was up 6-0.
    Following a high, short kick by Ryan Watson, kicker for the Wildcats, the Tigers had good field position for their next drive.
    The Tigers used passing from Cullen Grubbs to Ty Wilkerson to move down the field. Grubbs went to Andrew Flanagan for a gain inside the 10 of Sulphur springs. Two plays later, Daniel Craddock scored on a 1-yard run. The extra point by Hunter Lide was good and the visitors took a 7-6 lead with 5:42 to play in the first frame.
    The teams traded possessions later in the period. A turnover by Sulphur Springs did not hurt them as the Wildcat defense held the Tigers and forced a punt.
    The next scoring drive for Sulphur Springs was hardly a drive, more like a cruise on the feet of Ivery. Pryor threw to Alex Burney for a 14-yard gain. Then Ivery took his first carry of the game to the end zone. Ivery followed blocks at the line, cut outside using the balance of a cat burglar to slip through Tiger defenders and score on the 49-yard run. Watson's extra point put the home team up 13-7, allowing the home fans to breathe a sign of relief.    
    Owens, who is not only the head coach of the Wildcats, but a crafty special teams expert, called an onside kick. Watson's spinning offering was recovered for the Wildcats in just two seconds of the game clock had elapsed since they last scored.
    Pryor threw to C.J. Stephens for a 42-yard gain. On the next play, a first and goal from the five-yard line of Mount Pleasant, Ivery did what he does, found the end zone. Again the try for a two-point conversion trickery was sniffed out by the Tigers. Sulphur Springs now had a 19-7 lead with 2:32 still left in the opening quarter.
    Mount Pleasant managed a grand total of four yards on their next three plays. Lide was in punt formation again for Mount Pleasant. Burney again used the return opportunity to show off his elusive moves as he set the Wildcats up near midfield.
    Sulphur Springs did not exactly sparkle on the first three plays of the drive. First, the home team was called for a false start. Pryor tried to scramble, but slipped after a four-yard gain. So Pryor went back to pass, tossing the pigskin over the Ivery and let the senior do the heavy lifting. Ivery zipped around the end, scooted up the home sidelines outrunning all Mount Pleasant defenders to the goal line. The touchdown gave the home team a 25-7 lead. The pass attempt for a two-point conversion by Ivery was picked off by Cannon. The speedy receiver was gang tackled before he could turn the miscue into points.
    Action moved to the second period as Mount Pleasant put together a scoring drive. The Tigers drove 67 yards on five plays. The capping play a 44-yard scoring pass from Grubbs to Cannon down the visitor sideline. The kick by Tony Brito was perfect and Sulphur Springs' lead was sliced to 25-14 with 10:28 left in the second period.
    The next scoring drive for the Wildcats just took four plays. Tyler Rosamond ran for five yards. Then Pryor threw an incomplete pass. The junior quarterback mad eup for it on the next toss as he found Burney open for a 21-yard gain and first down at the 23 of the Tigers. Ivery took the hand off and instead of heading out, he eluded traffic in the middle of the field, broke through would-be tacklers and raced for the end zone. Watson's kick padded the Sulphur Springs lead to 32-14.
    The Tigers went back to their big gun and used Cannon again to score on their next possession. After Grubbs picked up a first down, they went back to Cannon. This time the speedster took a handoff on a fly sweep and rambled 46-yards to paydirt. Sulphur Springs narrowly missed catching Cannon at the line of scrimmage, but he used his speed to avoid the tackle. Brito again tacked on the extra point to give the Tigers a little hope. Mount Pleasant was just trailing 32-21 with seven minutes left in the first half.
    Sulphur Springs tacked on two more scores in the first half to pad their lead.
    Ivery went into the Wildcat formation and scored on a direct snap and quarterback. He used his running back speed to slice through the Mount Pleasant defense for a 67-yard scoring burst. Watson added the extra point and it was a 39-21 game.
    The Wildcat defense again started raiding the backfield of Mount Pleasant creating havoc, forcing another punt.    
    Sulphur Springs put together their longest scoring drive of the night, but it only took a couple of minutes from their hurry-up NASCAR offense. Pryor ran for a 36-yard gain. Then Ivery picked up 14 from another direct snap call. Pryor threw to Isaiah Lacy for a 34-yard gain. Pryor called his own number and finished the drive on a 1-yard scoring trot. Watson missed the first extra point try, but got a second chance after Mount Pleasant was called for being offside. Watson made the most of the mulligan and boomed the kick through the uprights. Sulphur Springs took a 46-21 lead with 3:37 left in the second frame.
    Sulphur Springs had another drive going right before the half. But the Wildcats could not score and had to settle for a 25-point lead as the bands took the first at intermission.
    The Wildcats wasted no time putting the game on ice with two quick scores in the third period.
    Ivery scored on a 55-yard run to make it a 53-21 game. He was sent to the bench after his seventh TD. The Wildcats were now up 53-21 and still rolling with 11:13 left in the third frame.
    Mount Pleasant turned the ball over and soon the Wildcats had another opportunity to score. And they did.
    Set up at the 22  of Mount Pleasant it only took the Sulphur Springs offense five plays to score.
    Pryor again showed off his wheel scoring on a 2-yard run. Watson's kick gave the Wildcats an even 60 points as they went up 60-21 with 9:56 left in the contest.
    Both teams went to subs and soon coaches were more concerned about running the clock, than putting any more scores on the board.
    Sulphur Springs practiced on special teams, getting a 32-yard field goal by Watson to extend the lead to 63-21.
    Cannon got in the end zone again, this time on an 11-yard scoring reception from Joseph Griffin.
    The Wildcats won the district opener by the final of 63-28.
    Linebacker Dedric Smith said he was proud of his team's performance the results did not surprise him.
    "We knew we could hold down Cannon, we had about 15 different looks and coverages for him," Smith said. "This wasn't just a win, it was a message to the other teams in district. We are here and we want to accomplish our goal of winning district again."
    Ivery was still excited after the game and said, "We've ready for Texas High!"
    The Wildcats trek to Texarkana taking their 4-2 overall mark and 1-0 district record against the second set of Tigers in district play.
    Texas High won 45-15 over Pine Tree.
    Sulphur Springs will be seeking their first win at Tiger Stadium at Grim Park  in Texarkana since 1998.




mySSnews Login

User Menu