LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram Sports Cumby loses homecoming tilt

Cumby loses homecoming tilt

E-mail Print PDF

    CUMBY — The Trojans dream of a second straight football win evaporated into the October night as Cumby fell 32-7 to undefeated Quinlan Boles before a large homecoming crowd at Frazier-Lawrence Stadium.

    Cumby took a quick lead, but the visiting Hornets scored the final 32 points of the game. The Boles defense holding Cumby off the scoreboard for the final three quarters.
    "I'm proud of our effort, but no the outcome," said Tom Dracos, head coach for the 1-5 Trojans. "We made some mistakes on execution. Some of it was my fault and the calls I made. But we are getting better. We already have shown a lot of improvement since the start of the season."
    The teams traded punts in the early stages of the first quarter. Cumby got the ball for their second possession of the night at the 33-yard line of Boles following a short quick kick.
    Cumby quarterback Travis Taylor threw twice for short gains to Nick Folse. A reverse to Dustin Heer moved the ball to the Boles 16-yard line. Two plays later Travis went back to Folse, this time for a 16-yard scoring pass. The extra point by Chanler Waters gave the home team a 7-0 lead with 5:18 left in the first frame.
    Cameron Walker started to contribute to the running game for the Hornets. The lanky speedster took off for first down as the first quarter ended. Boles continued to mix runs and passes, but went to Walker when they wanted to score. Walker turned a third and 1 from the 10-yard line of Cumby into a touchdown as he zipped behind blockers to the goal line. The extra point attempt failed. But Boles was in the game with the score at  7-6.
    Cumby could not get going and soon had to punt again.
    It appeared the Hornets had a drive going with Walker running for good yardage. But Cumby held the squad and forced another punt.
    Boles put together another scoring drive, this one coming from 56-yards out. Taking almost three minutes off the game clock. Cumby made the going rough as the Hornets were stonewalled on two attempts to cover short yardage up the middle near the goal line. The Hornets took the path of least resistance, and scooted around end with Devan Harris scoring. The try for a two-point conversion failed, but Boles had the lead with 28 ticks left on the first half clock.
    Boles was in the end zone just seconds later when Bailey Isom picked off a Taylor pass and returned it 45-yards for a score. The first half ended with Cumby on the short end of a 20-7 score.
    Cumby got some nice tackles from Triston White, Marcos Osornio and Folse as they made it tough on Boles to move the ball.
    But the Trojans were sputtering on offense and soon had to punt again.
    The Hornets took over at their own 18-yard line following a Taylor punt with a nice roll. The 82-yards was covered in one play as Walker broke a tackle at the line and used his speed to score on the long run. The conversion try again was unsuccessful, but Boles was ahead 26-7 with 6:11 remaining in the third period.
    The only other scoring chance for Cumby came when the team had great field position following a nice special teams play. Cody Anderson blocked a punt and Jack Jones scooped up the loose pigskin for a short return. Despite being set up at the 20-yard line of Boles, the Trojans were unable to cash in the scoring opportunity.
    Boles got a 37-yard scoring run by Harris with 8:06 left in the game to end the scoring. Cumby fell at home by the final of 32-7.
    Heer had 37 yards on the ground, Folse finished the night with 30 yards rushing on seven tries.
    Taylor completed 6-of-19 passes for 54 yards, one touchdown, one interception.
    The Trojans now open district on the road, facing Overton on Oct. 11.
    "The district opener is big, it's a must win for us," Dracos said. "The team which wins and is 1-0 in district could be in charge and run the table. It's homecoming for Overton, so they will be ready for us."




mySSnews Login

User Menu