LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram Sports SS Wildcats drop homecoming game, 61-22

SS Wildcats drop homecoming game, 61-22

E-mail Print PDF

    Friday the 13th means bad luck, yeah, no joke.

    Just ask the Sulphur Springs Wildcats after they came up on the short end of a 61-22 score Friday before an overflow homecoming crowd at Gerald Prim Stadium.
    But to say that Whitehouse won by luck or superstition would be inaccurate and unfair to the No. 5 talked maroon Wildcats. They made big plays and fielded a potent offense.
    Patrick Mahomes, senior quarterback for Whitehouse, lived up to his billing — the Texas Tech commit threw four touchdown passes completing 17-of-36 passes for 380 yards. He connected with Coleman Patterson for three scoring passes. Patterson had seven total catches for 215 yards averaging 30.7 yards per grab.
    Whitehouse had 555 total yards with an average gain of 8.0 yards per  play.
    Sulphur Springs had 353 total yards in the game. Averaging 4.7 per play.
    Willy Ivery led the Wildcat rushing game with 21 totes for 108 yards and two scores. Quarterback Larry Pryor threw for 189 yards on 22 completions with one score. Alex Burney and Dillon Carpenter both had seven grabs for more than 60 yards to pace the receiving corps.
    The loss dropped Sulphur Springs to 1-2 for the year after three games. Whitehouse rolled to 3-0, undefeated having scored 161 points in a trio of games.
    "We need to be progressing, not taking a step back. But right now our offense is inept," said Greg Owens, Sulphur Springs head football coach. "Our defense played their tails off, but our offense did not execute. Bottomline - we are not doing the job on offense."
    The teams traded scores early and at the half, Whitehouse had a 31-14 lead. But the game was still very competitive. The Sulphur SpringsWildcats had a chance to get close but only scored one touchdown in the second half..
    Instead it was Whitehouse stepping on the accelerator in the third period out-scoring the hometown Wildcats 20-8 as they started to pull away. Late mistakes and points by the visitors allowed Whitehouse to leave town with the 61-22 victory.
    Neither team could get in gear early. The Wildcats put together a scoring drive on their third possession of the first frame.
    Taking over from their on 40 with 7:58, the blue and gold Wildcats go a drive going. Pryor threw to Carpenter for a short gain. Senior speedster,  Ivery, who was coming back from an injured ankle, ran tough up the middle for  a first down. On third and five, Pryor scrambled for a first down. Pryor went back to the air connecting with Carpenter for seven yards down to the 27 of Whitehouse. On the next play, Ivery took the handoff, used his speed to turn the corner on the Whitehouse defense and jetted down the home sidelines for a touchdown. Ryan Watson's extra point was good and with 5:55 left in the opening frame, Sulphur Springs had the lead to 7-0.
    Whitehouse responded with a drive of their own. The visitors covered 68 yards in six plays. Vincent Dunning did the bulk of the damage. Dunning capped the drive with his first of three touchdowns on the night. Dunning scored from 10-yards out with 4:06 left in the first quarter. The extra point tied the game at 7-all.
    Sulphur Springs had a drive to near midfield stall out and Whitehouse took over on downs when a run by Derick Ingram out of punt formation did not fool Whitehouse. The maroon Cats took over at the 47-yard line of Sulphur Springs.
    Six plays later Dunning was back in the end zone. The 6-0 junior scored on a 10-yard dash up the middle. Colby Crim's extra point gave s Whitehouse their first lead of the game at 14-7.
    Action shifted to the second period and again it was Whitehouse on the move. Mahomes threw to Shemar Smith for 20 yards and a first down. Mahomes took off and ran 27 yards for another first down. Two incomplete passes left Whitehouse out of options at the 17-yard line facing a fourth and 10. So Whitehouse called on Crim and he converted a 34-yard field goal. The boot was on the mark and Whitehouse padded the lead to 17-7 with 10:25 left before intermission.
    The teams traded fumbles with each team racking up a turnover.
    Sulphur Springs got the ball back at the Whitehouse 37-yard line. The home Wildcats took advantage of a personal foul on Whitehouse. Ivery ended the drive scoring on a two-yard burst up the middle. Watson's extra point made it a 17-14 game with 8:39 remaining in the second frame.
    Whitehouse was boosted by a nice kickoff return of 69-yards Smith. They took over deep in Sulphur Springs territory. Mahomes went back up top, connecting with Patterson on a 12-yard scoring pass. On the throw, all players involved in the action, Patterson and Sulphur Springs defender Tyler Williams fell in a heap in the end zone. Patterson came up with the ball. Williams had to be treated for an injury to his  shoulder and did not return.
    Whitehouse got the extra point kick from Travis Blackburn as they padded their lead to 10-points, 24-14 with 7:57 left in the first half.
    Sulphur Springs drove from their own 41 to the 35 of Whitehouse. The maroon Cats held Sulphur Springs on downs and took over.
    With five minutes left in the first half, Whitehouse again had a scoring drive working. Mahomes threw a high arching pass deep that Patterson came up with for a 42-yard scoring connection. Crim's extra point made it a 31-14 lead that held up at the half.
    The Sulphur Springs defense shut down Whitehouse in the third period forcing a punt by Mahomes on fourth and 11. The punt went into the end zone and Sulphur Springs took over at their own 20.
    Pryor threw to Isaiah Lacy for a short gain. Ivery ran up the middle for a gain large enough for a first down. Pryor threw to Carpenter for eight yards and found Alex Burney open for a six-yard gain and another first down.
    The drive stalled when the next three plays went for little or no gain. Pryor went back in punt formation and this time the junior did punt. His rolling boot went for 43 yards with no return by Whitehouse.
    Mahomes went to the air and Whitehouse started picking up yardage in chunks. Mahomes threw to Smith for 16 yards and then found Patterson open for a 13-yard gain over the middle. Mahomes threw to Ryan Cheatham for a 42-yard gain to move the ball deep into the Sulphur Springs end of the field. The touchdown came when Mahomes went back to Patterson, this time for a 24-yard touchdown pass. The extra point gave Whitehouse breathing room with a 38-14 lead.
    Sulphur Springs tried to answer back and it appeared they had it going. The following drive started with four consecutive Ivery runs which netted 33 total yards and moved the pigskin to the 33 of Whitehouse. Pryor threw to Burney for a gain to the 17-yard line. Then Pryor went to the corner of the end zone with Lacy coming up with the catch in traffic for a touchdown reception. Pryor went back to Burney, this time for the two-point conversion. Sulphur Springs had cut the lead to 38-22 with 4:19 left in the third period. It would be as close as the Sulphur Springs would get.
    Whitehouse was far from through scoring.
    The visiting Wildcats got a one-yard scoring run by Tre Staples to make it a 44-22 lead with just over three minutes remaining in the third period.
    Sulphur Springs tried to get a drive going, but a key toss from Pryor to Carpenter for good yardage over the middle, turned into disaster. Whitehouse stripped the ball from Carpenter with the visitors recovering the ball.
    Whitehouse got the third touchdown of the night by Dunning, this time from one-yard out to cap a short drive after a bad snap and big loss by Sulphur Springs from punt formation.
    The final score of the game with a 35-yard field goal by Blackburn which made the final read, 61-22.
    Owens said, "We have to get better and get after it. Some of our mistakes were caused by Whitehouse, some of it was us. We got to execute and we are not doing. We have to be serious about getting better and figure things out."
    Sulphur Springs plays at Paris on Sept. 20 at 7:30 p.m.
    Paris fell to 1-2, getting socked 53-7 by Argyle Friday night.




mySSnews Login

User Menu