LoginCreate an account

     
 
Home News-Telegram News Obituaries Charles Allen ‘Doc’ Light

Charles Allen ‘Doc’ Light

E-mail Print PDF

Mr. Charles Allen “Doc” Light of Kermit passed away Sunday, Oct. 11, 2009, at the Hospice House in Odessa. He was buried in Kermit on Oct. 13, 2009.

Mr. Light was born to Edgar and Laura Weed Light in Llano on July 16, 1927. He was the youngest of four brothers and three sisters. All have preceded him in death.

He married Nell Cooper of Kermit in 1972. She preceded him in death in 1993.

Mr. Light is survived by one daughter, Karen Light Strickland of Sulphur Springs; three sons, Charles Allen Jight Jr. and wife, Fadia, of Fredericksburg, Va., Mike Cooper and wife Melanie of Kermit, and Wayne Cooper and and wife Debra of Livingston. He is also survived by 11 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren and his dear friend, Beth Westfall of Kermit.

He was preceded in death by one son, Michael N. Light of Advance, N.C.

Mr. Light attended school in Llano until age 16, when he joined the Navy. He served two years in the Pacific during World War II, where he participated in the Battle of Okinawa. He returned to Llano after the war to work with his brothers in the marble quarries in Llano before getting a job with his brother, Vernon, in the oil field. Mr. Light worked for Parker Drill Company for more than 45 years as a roughneck, driller, toolpusher and drilling superintendent, and then for Quarles Oil for another 10 years. During these years of service, Mr. Light set many drilling records in Texas as well as Mississippi and Lima, Peru. Due to his years in the oil field, Doc Light was well known in both East and West Texas for his dedication and knowledge of his job. Doc was also an avid hunter and fisherman and enjoyed football, being a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan.

Mr. Light was a member of the Community Church of Kermit at the time of his death.

Memorials may be made to the Hospice House of Odessa, Texas, 903 North Sam Houston, Odessa, TX 79761; or to either Hospice at Memorial or the Hopkins County Healthcare Foundation, both located at 1228 Church St., Sulphur Springs, TX 75482.

 

Search...

WebSite

mySSnews Login



User Menu