A sister and friend of a Sulphur Springs man ordered to serve 79 years in prison Wednesday may face jail time themselves after they were accused of threatening the victims in the case following the sentencing.
Complaints were filed this morning alleging the two women threatened to kill the four female sexual assault victims, ranging in age from 15 to 29, after leaving the district courtroom about 6:20 p.m.
The incident occurred not long after David Heath Fouse, 27, was convicted on three charges each of aggravated sexual assault of a child and sexual assault of a child.
The jury sentenced Fouse to 60 years on one aggravated sexual assault charge and five years on the other two. He was given sentences of five years on one sexual assault charge and two years on the other two. Eighth Judicial District Judge Robert Newsom “stacked” the convictions, meaning Fouse would serve the prison terms consecutively.
District Attorney Martin Braddy said Fouse will have to serve a minimum of half of the sentences, meaning the earliest release date would be in 2048.
There were several witnesses to the threats, said District Attorney Martin Braddy, who added he would review the allegations and decide whether or not to pursue charges of retaliation, a third-degree felony.
“My view on retaliation is that somebody that has the strength to come forward, to provide information necessary for a jury to do the right thing should not in any way be subject to threats or being in fear for their lives or safety, or their family,” Braddy said. “Any thug that wants to threaten somebody just because they got on the stand to tell the truth needs to be put in prison.
“I will review the case and see whether it needs to be filed and prosecuted.”
Fouse was accused in January of 2008 of sexual assault of a child, for which he was indicted by a Hopkins County Grand Jury.
While reviewing the case, Braddy said he realized Fouse, who went to prison in 2000 for assaulting a public servant, had been investigated for sexual assault of a child accusations in 1998.
“He confessed to those offenses. However, there was a decision made by somebody to not prosecute him for it at all.”
In 2000, there were two more investigations of sexual assault of a child under the age of 17, but a grand jury did not indict him.
“When we found this [Jan. 2008] offense, I do what I always do, which is go back and see whether or not there are other cases that were not properly handled. We took it to the grand jury, which indicted him on all three of the victims — multiple cases — and then we went forward on trial this week.”
|< Prev||Next >|