Family pets and a student’s livestock projects perished in separate fires Wednesday morning and Tuesday afternoon in Hopkins County.
Three pets perished in the fire at a home in Cumby this morning which caused “significant damage” throughout the residence. According to fire reports, a girl fled from the home after hearing an explosion, then seeing smoke in the utility room.
The fire was reported at about 7:30 a.m. to county responders. A teen-age girl was getting ready for school when she heard an explosion in the utility room of her West Main Street home in Cumby. The girl’s mother had left for work a short while before. The daughter, upon seeing smoke, fled the residence to a neighbor’s house to seek help. After calling emergency dispatchers, they went back to the house to try to get the family’s pets out, but the smoke was too heavy.
Cumby, Hopkins County, Campbell, Arbala and Miller Grove firefighters were dispatched to 403 West Main Street, while Hopkins County Emergency Medical Services personnel were requested to stand by as a precaution.
Cumby firemen arrived to see smoke coming from the single-wide mobile home. They went inside and had the fire under control by 7:45 a.m. Wednesday, and mostly out a few minutes later, according to fire reports. Hopkins County and Campbell firefighters continued to the location to assist with the “overhaul” phase of the fire-fight. Miller Grove and Arbala firefighters and EMS were told to disregard the call.
The Greenville branch of the American Red Cross was contacted to assist the residents, who have renter’s insurance which should help replace some of the damaged items.
The fire charred the rear of the mobile home and caused significant damage throughout the structure, according to fire reports.
During a search of the house, firefighters found one cat inside still alive. Aside from being anxious, the cat appeared to be OK, but was given oxygen as a precaution. Two other cats and a dog, however, are believed to have died in the blaze.
Initial investigation indicated the fire was accidental, and appeared to have started in the electrical wiring, according to HCFD reports.
In a separate fire Tuesday, a student lost the chickens he had been tending for an agriculture project in a structure fire.
Hopkins County, Brinker, Dike and Pickton-Pine Forest firefighters were dispatched at 3:49 p.m. Tuesday to a chicken house fire on County Road 3341 north in Brinker. The shed, approximately 8 feet by 8 feet, was destroyed, as were about a dozen chickens housed inside.
A fallen heating lamp is thought to have started the accidental blaze, according to Hopkins County Fire reports.
|< Prev||Next >|