LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram News Local man, 24, jailed after leading police on chase through city

Local man, 24, jailed after leading police on chase through city

E-mail Print PDF

A 24-year-old Sulphur Springs man was jailed after leading police on a chase through residential areas of the city.
The man was arrested on a charge of evading arrest with a vehicle, a state jail felony, at 12:10 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of Carter Street.
Officers affected the arrest after receiving a report of a suspicious person in the parking lot of Carriage House Manor. A man who had been walking around the parking lot was seen leaving in a white Dodge flatbed truck, headed toward Hopkins County Memorial Hospital
Officer Lonnie Taylor located a pickup matching the description of the Dodge as it turned east onto California Street. Taylor turned his patrol car around and activated his emergency lights to stop the truck. The pickup sped up, however, turning south on North Jackson Street, where Officer Eddie Moon observed the vehicle’s speed at 45 miles per hour in a 30 mph zone, and accelerating. Moon joined the pursuit as the pickup “turned east on Jefferson Street at a high rate of speed,” according to the arrest report.
Moon and Taylor followed the truck with their sirens on as the Dodge made a “high speed turn” to the 100 block of Carter Street, where it pulled to a stop at a residence. The officers drew their guns as they exited their patrol cars.
Reports state “the suspect was removed from the vehicle and advised to place his hands on the bed of his pickup” while the passenger, a 20-year-old Sulphur Springs woman, was removed from the vehicle by Taylor.
According to reports, the man was having trouble with his girlfriend and had driven to Carriage House Manor to speak with his girlfriend’s mother, who is employed at the nursing home. He and the passenger, who was described as a friend, had left Carriage House when he spotted Taylor’s patrol vehicle and tried to “lose” the officer, then “attempted to run” when he saw the second police car.
The woman said she told the man numerous times to stop and to let her out of the car, but he refused to do so until he stopped on Carter Street.
The passenger was released with no charges filed. The driver of the pickup was taken to the county jail on the charge of evading arrest in a vehicle. He was also found to be driving without a license and was issued warning citations for the traffic violations.




mySSnews Login

User Menu