LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram News Court: Tony Crayton indicted for wife’s murder

Court: Tony Crayton indicted for wife’s murder

E-mail Print PDF

Tony Dewayne Crayton was officially indicted this month for the Oct. 22 murder of his wife, Jessica Tyler Townsend Crayton.

The indictment, signed by the Hopkins County Grand Jury during their Dec. 11 session, alleges the 31-year-old Sulphur Springs stabbed his wife “in the neck and back with a knife” on Oct. 22.

Tony Crayton was taken into custody Tuesday, Oct. 22, shortly after officers responding to 911 hangup calls found his 27-year-old wife fatally injured at their Morris drive home. He had jumped off the Interstate 30 overpass on League Street. 

He spent a week in a Tyler hospital being treated for his injuries. He was served with an arrest warrant Oct. 25 at Trinity Mother Francis Hospital, where law enforcement placed a guard at his door at all times. He was formally arraigned in Smith County, and  transported Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 29, to Hopkins County jail. He went before Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Ronny Glossup Wednesday morning, Oct. 30 and was re-arraigned. Glossup set bond at $1 million on the murder charge. He has remained in Hopkins County jail in lieu of bond.

Police responded to the Crayton’s Morris drive residence Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 22, after 911 dispatchers received “a couple of 911 open calls” in which “nobody responded” to their queries to the nature of the call. 

Officers knocked on the door of the Crayton residence. When no one answered, they walked around the house.

“An officer could see through a window the victim on the floor. They forced entry at that point. She was deceased on entry to the house,” Sulphur Springs Police Investigator Bo Fox said Oct. 30.

Mrs. Crayton had what appeared to be apparent injuries to the neck area; a knife was believed to have been the weapon used.

While police were “working the crime scene” at the residence, emergency dispatchers received reports of a man attempting to jump off the League Street overpass. By the time officers arrived, the man had jumped.

By that time, officers identified the Morris Drive victim as Jessica Tyler Crayton; they began a working list of her family. Tony Crayton was identified not only as the man who jumped from the overpass but also as the stabbing victim’s husband. He was taken to the hospital and sent to Trinity Mother Frances for treatment of his injuries. 

“Officers responding there at the scene observed he had blood on his shoes and cuts on his hand consistent with him being present at the crime scene at the house,” Fox said following officers’ preliminary investigation.

A search warrant was obtained, allowing for collection of his clothing and affects on him, as well as any DNA evidence that might be on him. Tony Crayton was served with the arrest warrant Oct. 25, then arraigned by a Smith County magistrate.

“Someone was at the hospital door the whole time, some jailers — the sheriff’s office helped us out with that,” Fox said.

He was released from the hospital Oct. 29 and transported to Sulphur Springs. He was interviewed by investigators that day, and was reported to be “cooperating with the investigation,” the investigator said.




mySSnews Login

User Menu