LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram News Homicide Local woman killed; husband to be charged with murder

Homicide Local woman killed; husband to be charged with murder

E-mail Print PDF

Suspect jumped off overpass after attack

A 27-year-old woman, the mother of one son, was found dead in her Morris Drive home early Tuesday afternoon, with her 31-year-old husband, Tony Dewayne Crayton, in police hospital custody as the only suspect.
    Crayton, who jumped off the League Street overpass onto Interstate 30 about an hour after the murder, is listed in stable condition in a Tyler hospital and will face murder charges when he gets out of the hospital, according to Sulphur Springs Police Chief Jim Bayuk.
    Funeral services for Jessica Tyler Crayton were pending Wednesday with West Oaks Funeral Home.
    Bayuk said dispatchers received two 911 calls from the Morris Drive residence.
    “The first 911 call came in, but there was nobody on the other end. Nothing but silence, then the phone hung up,” Bayuk said. “Less than a minute later, it rang again and the same thing — nobody on the other end of the line.”
    Dispatchers then sent officers to the residence, but they were unable to get anyone to answer the door and started to walk around the house. When they looked in a window, they saw a body on the floor.
    “Officers forced entry into the house through the front door,” the chief said. “Inside the house they discovered the deceased, identified as Jessica Tyler Crayton, 27. She had massive trauma to her neck and throat area.”
    The police officers on the scene then called for detectives from the criminal investigation division to process what appeared to be a crime scene.
    As detectives arrived and secured the house, a call was received that would lead to the only suspect in the apparent murder.
    “While we were all at the scene, a call came out about 2:13 p.m., a little over an hour from the time we got the initial 911 call from the house, that there was an individual attempting to jump off the League Street overpass onto I-30,” Bayuk explained. ”By the time officers arrived, the individual had jumped off. Nobody on the interstate struck him.”
    Bayuk identified that person as Tony Crayton, the husband of the dead woman, and said he was taken to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital before being airlifted to Tyler's Mother Frances Hospital late Tuesday.
    Crayton was listed in stable condition Wednesday morning and under police guard at the hospital.
    “We are working this case as a homicide and [Crayton] is our only suspect,” Bayuk said. “As soon as he is able to be released from the hospital, he will be brought back to Hopkins County and he will be charged with murder.”




mySSnews Login

User Menu