LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram News Family of 1994 SSHS grad devastated by fire at their home in Germany

Family of 1994 SSHS grad devastated by fire at their home in Germany

E-mail Print PDF

A native of Sulphur Springs now stationed with the U.S. Air Force in Germany and her family lost virtually all their possessions in a fire at their home Tuesday.
Genevieva Michellea Fly, the daughter of George and Audrey Greenway of Sulphur Springs, and her husband and daughter are living in a hotel while they try to patch their lives back together, her father said today.
"It's awful," George Greenway said. "We don't even know what to do."
Genevieva Greenway graduated from Sulphur Springs High School in 1994. After working as a waitress at TaMolly's, she joined the Air Force in 1996, where she met her husband, Bill Fly. They have one daughter, Madison, 8.
The family is stationed at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, where Genevieva is a technical sergeant specializing in computer security. Her husband works for "Stars and Stripes," shuttling between Iraq and Germany every three months.
The fire that occurred Tuesday afternoon at the home they rented destroyed virtually everything they owned, George Greenway said. Initial assessments indicate the only salvageable items are a bookshelf and a dining table.
The family dog somehow survived, but a pet cat perished in the flames.
"Her daughter is just distraught over it," George Greenway said.
He said he and his wife had planned to fly to Germany for a visit next month. He said they had to cancel those plans, incurring an $800 cancellation charge on the $1,600 travel package from a local travel agency.
He described his daughter as a "really good person."
"She's like her Mama — she volunteers for everything," he said. "It's a bad thing to happen to a good person."
Mr. Greenway said anyone who wants more information  can call him or his wife at 903-885-2075.




mySSnews Login

User Menu