LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram News Standoff at trailer park ends with man surrendering

Standoff at trailer park ends with man surrendering

E-mail Print PDF

    A two-hour standoff at a local mobile home park concluded Wednesday night with the person inside the trailer surrendering after the Sulphur Springs-Hopkins County Special Response Team deployed a volley of tear gas into the trailer.

    The incident began mid-afternoon Wednesday with a disturbance between a man and his family members at their Rains County residence. Rains County deputies contacted Hopkins County Sheriff’s Office around 6 p.m. asking for help with the man, who was thought to possibly be suicidal, at the Shiloh Road residence, according to sheriff’s reports.
    Before Hopkins County officers could respond at the location they were advised the man had left his residence and was on his way to his father’s home at Hillcrest Mobile Home Park in Sulphur Springs.
    Texas Ranger John Vance contacted Sulphur Springs Police Department around 7 p.m. requesting the special response team, often referred to as SWAT, be activated to assist police and deputies at the location, according to SSPD Lt. Rusty Stillwagoner, a member of the team.
    Vance, who acted as negotiator at the scene, advised that the information they’d received on the man was that he has paranoid schizophrenia and is delusional, believing that the government was “out to kill him,” according to police.
    The SRT was advised the man had made threats to harm family members at the Rains County residence, but had let the family members leave the house. He then left that house and traveled to his father’s trailer in Sulphur Springs. The man’s father was not home at the time of the incident, but there were reported to be weapons in the residence.
    Once it was confirmed the man was inside the trailer and refused to exit, Vance began trying to negotiate with him to get him to exit peacefully. When it became apparent after a couple of hours that the man could not be talked out, SRT sent one full volley of tear gas into the home through a window. The man then exited the home a few minutes later and surrendered to authorities, according to Hopkins County Sheriff’s Chief Investigator Lewis Tatum.
    He was taken to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital Emergency Room for evaluation and treatment if needed, Tatum said.




mySSnews Login

User Menu