Sulphur Springs’ regular August school board meeting will be a little different for a least three reasons — start time, public form item and timing of budget workshop/board training.
The meeting will be held as usual the second Monday of the month (Aug. 12) in the board room of Sulphur Springs Independent School District Administration Building, 631 Connally St. The session, however, will start at 5:30 p.m., 30 minutes earlier than normal.
Leading off the meeting will be a small “graduation” ceremony for three students: La’Daria Hill, Antun Walton and KaFreddric Washington. This graduation will be conducted during the public forum portion of the board meeting, which follows the invocation and approval of previous meetings’ minutes. No further information about this session was noted in the board book or agenda
The school board will also have another budget work session. Monday’s workshop, like the last, is scheduled to take place at the very end of the school board meeting. In past years, the workshops have either been held earlier in the meeting or during a separate session. Generally, SSISD trustee meetings end with an executive session, then any action following that closed session. This year, the board has opted to hold budget work sessions following executive sessions. The board is scheduled to have its final meeting regarding the budget Monday, Aug. 26, when they are scheduled to adopt the budget. A board training session is scheduled to follow the budget work session. These typically in the past have been held during the reports portion of the board meeting.
The school board will receive a number of items during the administrative reports/information items portion of the meeting, which is slated to follow the graduation and public forum. Among those items to be presented by Betty Lawson, SSISD director of elementary education, are reports of meet the teacher activities and the elementary student handbook.
Assistant Superintendent Randy Reed is scheduled to present the secondary student handbook.
Changes to the SSISD child nutrition meal payments and charge policy will also be given during the meeting; meals may now also be paid for online, and students can only have $25 in lunch charges to the primary line and no a la carte or extra menu items can be charged.
Among actions items submitted for board consideration Monday night are:
- Bid for general classroom materials/office supplies for Sept. 1, 2013-Aug. 31, 2014.
- District property/casualty insurance bid. The item was “postponed” at a previous meeting until further research and information regarding the matter could be attained, per board request, due to increase in premium and deductibles, and request for survey of comparable policies by other agencies.
- Head Start expenditure adjustments — moving eligible funds from the general fund to the Head Start account to reconcile unmatched cash disbursements in the Head Start fund for the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 school years, discovered during an Head Start review earlier in the school year. After those adjustments are made, $6,000 from the general fund will need to be transferred to the Head Start fund to cover the August payroll.
- One-year contract extension for district copier services
- Student code of conduct handbook
- Additions, revisions and deletions to local policies as recommended by Texas Association of School Boards Policy Services according to the instruction sheet for TASB Localized Policy Manual Update 97
The board then will enter into executive session to discuss any personell and property items that have arisen or been presented since the last board meeting. They are to reconvene afterward to take action on those items, then enter into a budget work session, followed by a “team of 8 board training” session.
|< Prev||Next >|