LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram News One dead, two transported to hospitals after crash on Hwy 11 east

One dead, two transported to hospitals after crash on Hwy 11 east

E-mail Print PDF

A Sulphur Springs man died Friday evening in a two vehicle crash west of Como. A woman was transported to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital, and a 3-year-old boy flown from the scene to Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. Hopkins County, Brinker and Como firefighters, Hopkins County sheriff’s deputies, state troopers, police and Hopkins County Emergency Medical Services personnel were dispatched at 4:52 p.m. to a major crash on State Highway 11 east at County Road 2320. Occupants of a car were reported to  be trapped in the wreckage, one possibly dead. Pickton-Pine Forest firefighters, who had just finished up at another wreck near  Como-Pickton school reported 30 minutes prior to the fatal crash, also responded in their rescue truck to assist.

Nicolette Johnson of Sulphur Springs was driving a 2006 Kia car, with 3-year-old Nicholas Johnson and 31-year-old Billy Ray Allen in the back seat. They were traveling east on SH 11. They stopped to turn left at Elm Ridge Church, “on a straight-of-way between two hills.” Walter Mitchell of Pickton, who was also traveling east on SH 11 behind the Kia, failed to stop, according to the accident report by Trooper Bill Reese who investigated the crash with assistance from Trooper Cori Hale. The front end of the truck struck the car, crashing into it so hard the impact left an imprint of the truck’s license plate in the metal of the car.

The front end of the truck was damaged, but Mitchell was able to get out. He appeared to have a few minor injuries, but refused medical treatment. The occupants of the car were trapped inside.

Firefighters cut off the driver’s side door and lifted Nicolette Johnson out onto a back board. She was transported by ambulance to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital, where paramedics requested the trauma team be activated.

The 3-year-old was removed through what was left of the back window by firefighters. The Sulphur Springs boy reportedly suffered severe trauma. A medical helicopter was landed in a clear pasture across from the crash site. Nicholas Johnson was flown to Children’s Medical Center in Dallas, where he remained Saturday.

To extricate Billy Ray Allen, firefighters were able to spread cutting tools under his seat then cut the bolt holding it place. Allen was then lifted out in the seat by firefighters, according to fire reports.

Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Yvonne King was called to the scene for the official death report. West Oaks Funeral Home was called to the scene for the deceased. Allen’s body was transported to the medical examiner’s office in Dallas for autopsy, as is standard procedure in fatality crashes.





mySSnews Login

User Menu