LoginCreate an account

     
 
Home News-Telegram News Explosion sends Como man to Dallas burn center

Explosion sends Como man to Dallas burn center

E-mail Print PDF

Explosion sends Como man to Dallas burn center

By KERRY CRAIG
News-Telegram Staff Writer
    Como city council member and businessman Donald Meeks was airlifted to Dallas' Parkland hospital Monday evening after his home in the 300 block of Jefferson Street was ripped apart by an explosion and fire just before 8 p.m.
    Como firefighter Roy Darby, who was one of the first on the scene, said Meeks received severe burns to his head, face and hands.
    Meeks was treated at the scene by paramedics who called for an air ambulance to transport him to the burn center at Parkland.
    Tuesday morning, Parkland Hospital would only confirm Meeks was a patient on the hospital's burn unit.
    According to Darby, Meeks was attempting to light a propane gas space heater when the explosion occurred blowing an exterior wall out of the house and setting the house on fire.
    By the time fire units arrived, the fire had “crowned” with flames coming from the roof of Meek's home and additional alarms were sounded.
    A narrow, muddy street and spectators attempting to drive by the fire scene hampered firefighters.
    At one point, a state trooper who had come to the scene to assist with traffic and crowd control was forced off the pavement and had to call a wrecker to pull his patrol car out of the muddy ditch.
    An electric utility truck, called to the scene to cut electric lines also became stuck in the same ditch.
    Firefighters were called back to the Jefferson Street home about 2:30 a.m. after the fire rekindled.
    Darby said the fire and explosion caused extensive damaged to the home.

 

Search...

WebSite

mySSnews Login



User Menu