LoginCreate an account

Home News-Telegram News 2 separate accidents leave 1 woman dead, another critical

2 separate accidents leave 1 woman dead, another critical

E-mail Print PDF

Two separate auto crashes at lunch time Thursday resulted in the death of an elderly Cooper woman and a Hopkins County woman being flown to a Tyler hospital in critical condition.

City dispatchers were contacted at 11:12 a.m. about the first crash, which occurred in the parking lot of Furr’s Cafeteria. A Cooper woman, 84, had just walked out of Furr’s after her noon meal and was standing on the west side of the property at the curb waiting to get into the car she came in. Witnesses, standing in line from Furr’s door to the Burger King parking lot, said a man in a car approached.

“He was pretty shaken up, it happened so fast. Instead of hitting the break, he accidentally hit the gas pedal,” Sulphur Springs Police Officer Justin Darrow said based on his conversation with the 72-year-old Pickton man who was driving the vehicle.

That caused the vehicle to jump the curb and strike the 84-year-old Cooper woman standing there. The woman sustained severe injuries. Hopkins County Emergency Medical Services personnel treated her in an ambulance and got her stable enough to be flown to a Dallas trauma center.

The medical helicopter landed in the nearby parking lot within 15 minutes of being contacted and began the flight to Parkland. However, shortly after the flight began, the woman began to experience difficulties. The medical helicopter notified the Greenville hospital staff they’d be landing, to prepare for the patient. The woman, whose name had not been released Friday by police, was still being treated at the Greenville hospital at 2 p.m. Thursday, but later in the afternoon died as a result of her injuries, Darrow said.

Police are still investigating the crash, and plan to go back out next week to further examine the crash site, but as of Friday morning said no charges are being filed against the 72-year-old Pickton man who was driving the car that struck the Cooper woman. Darrow said initial information supported a tragic accident, that the man appeared to have full use of his faculties and no alcohol or other substances appeared to have been involved. 

“There are not going to be any charges at this time. It appears to be completely an accident. There appeared to have been no intent at this point,” Darrow said.

The second crash was reported at 12:05 p.m. Thursday on County Road 3518. Hopkins County and Dike firefighters, deputies and troopers were dispatched. Hopkins County Emergency Medical Services was also alerted.

The Dike resident told dispatchers he hadn’t seen his wife in a short while and went looking for her. He found her in a ditch, where the all terrain vehicle she had been riding had apparently overturned. Officers noted that at some point during the crash the ATV hit a nearby tree, but it was unclear Thursday whether it hit the tree or rolled first, according to sheriff’s reports.

A medical helicopter called to land near the crash site as the 65-year-old Dike woman had sustained a head injury and was said not to have regained consciousness. She was airlifted at 12:58 p.m. Thursday for the flight to East Texas Medical Center. No further information about the woman’s condition was available at press time Friday.




mySSnews Login

User Menu