Refuse burning in a covered barrel about midday Monday spread to a shop building, garage and house on County Road 3504 and resulted in major damage to all the buildings.
Homeowner Billy Davis said he was burning some boxes and packing materials in a burn barrel and had been back inside the house for more than an hour when he heard a noise.
“I heard a big pop,” Davis said. “I rushed to the kitchen and I could see flames out the window, and the north side of the house was on fire.”
Davis said he then ran out a back door and was met by a neighbor, Robert Burk, who had just driven up.
“I put my water hose on it but it was so hot I couldn’t get close, it burned my hand,” Davis said. “[Water hose] had very little effect on that wall which was in flames. I saw I wasn’t doing much good with the water hose and started salvaging what I could.”
Davis, who just recently suffered a heart attack, was treated by paramedics at the scene for first- and second-degree burns to his hand.
The first firefighters on the scene immediately called for additional tankers and manpower help battle the fire and trucks, and firefighters from every county volunteer department responded to battle the fire.
Additional calls were made for firefighters to relieve those on the scene who were suffering from smoke or heat issues. At least three firefighters were checked out by paramedics aboard Medic 6 at the scene.
As firefighters began to mop up lingering hot spots in the house, scene commanders called for assistance from Delta County and Winnsboro fire departments with manpower and air packs to help with the “overhaul” of the fire scene at mid-afternoon Monday.
|< Prev||Next >|