Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spain - St Georges Day

Spain - St Georges Day 1 year 2 months ago #17263

• StanWright
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Many people go to festive markets to buy books and flowers, particularly roses, to give to their loved ones on St George's Day. These markets are held in the center of towns and villages, particularly Barcelona. They often include other cultural and literary events, such as book signings and readings of classical Spanish or Catalonian literature.

Many men traditionally present their grandmothers, mothers, aunts, sisters, wives, girlfriends, daughters and other female relatives with roses. Many lovers may present each other with books, roses and other gifts.

In Barcelona, it was like a giant sidewalk sale... everyone selling roses.
I noticed one "booth" had a sign with the Boy Scout World Crest on it.

In broken Spanish I inquired if these teens were Spanish Boy Scouts. They were the equivalent of our Venture Crews. ( Boys and Girls age 14 to 21. BSA high adventure scouts) Fortunately for me, one 17 year old girl ,Alba, (second from the right) spoke much better English than I spoke Spanish. She told me they sold roses every St. George's day to raise money for their high adventure trips. I donated $20 to their fund, and took pictures. She ask if I was on Facebook and would post some pictures. The world scouting community is a great way to make new friends.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu