Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alaska Glaciers, Tracy Arm Fjord

Alaska Glaciers, Tracy Arm Fjord 2 years 5 months ago #15965

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Alaska Glacier, Tracy Arm Fjord

Tracy Arm is a fjord in Alaska located about 45 miles south of the capitol city of Juneau. It's named for Civil War general Benjamin Franklin Tracy.
As our cruise ship entered Tracy Arm, we met our sister ship, the Sapphire Princess coming out.

Our cruise ship went through these fjords very early in the morning. It was clear that we were entering somewhere spectacular. There were hundreds of folks on the decks taking pictures and enjoying the view, yet you could have heard a pin drop as everyone stood around slack-jawed. This scenery is not to be missed.

Lots of ribbon waterfalls cascade down to the water you are sailing on. At the end of the Fjord you come to a huge wall of greenish blue glacier face - Sawyer Glacier. Unfortunately we could not get much closer than 2-3000 yards from the glacier due to danger of ice "calving" and having to proceed through a floating field of ice chunks, some the size of cars. Wear your heavy coat and maybe gloves - it will be about 34 degrees !!!

In the Tracy's Arm Fjord in the Alaska Inside Passage are located the Twin Sawyer Glaciers.

Wow is the only word… there are none to describe the beauty, the seals, the ice, has to be seen. Truly Awesome and Beautiful. We saw this from our ship deck. What a beautiful place. Something you sure don't see everyday… probably only once in a lifetime.

Amazing. Put this on your bucket list! I am very difficult to impress and I couldn't get over everything I saw here. We saw the glaciers, icebergs, seals all over the place and it was one of the best days of our trip!

The experience of entering and exploring a fjord on a large cruise ship was exciting and the hot coffee & coco with brandy drinks provided helped to keep the cold at bay. I've lived in Hawaii and the South Pacific for most of my life now... seas where ice bergs and fjords do not exist. Seeing the cliffs going straight up for thousands of feet with waterfalls and valleys caused by glaciers past was educational and awesome. See the "small" cruise ship over near the glacier?

This beautiful chunk of ice was larger than a house. WOW. The Alaska Cruise trip was fantastic and worth the time spent. World class location.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Alaska Glaciers, Tracy Arm Fjord 2 years 5 months ago #15967

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you for taking us on a mini trip, Stan. These are truly fantastic photos and the information you shared is wonderful as well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu